[SOLVED] Adata SX8200 slow write speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2019
I'm using a ADATA SX8200NP 480gb and the write speed is very slow. Write speed hovers around 550ish for Sequential. Read speed is also slower than other benchmarks I saw but not as bad as Write. My motherboard is MSI H370 Gaming Pro Carbon, the ssd is plugged into the top slot with m.2 shield. It is also my boot drive and running in UEFI. View: https://imgur.com/zv1lIaz
View: https://imgur.com/SG4Z6uQ

View: https://imgur.com/oBNLI6b

Reactions: 0gati
Solution
@Mothman0724 it's been enabled for me too from the start.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Clean install after wiping the drive
  • Multiple different disk benchmarking software
  • Realworld Benchmarks
  • Putting the drive in a completely different system (also running 1809)
  • Trim, SFC, Services -> Optimize Drives etc
  • Ran trimcheck to inspect the disk to see if Trim was functioning correctly
  • Checking system32/drivers/stornvme.sys for a potential rollback driver
  • Downloading the Adata 'Toolbox' which does absolutely nothing
  • Latest BIOS, Drivers, etc
  • Tweeting ADATA (the more of us bring it up the better)

Here's what I haven't tried
  • Testing the drive on 1803 or earlier version of Windows 10...
Apr 6, 2019
When I try to submit a support request, the system doesn't accept the drive's serial number and I can not find an entry for the SX8200NP in the drop-down menu.

Same problem here. There's not even an option for SX8200. Makes me wonder if ADATA is actively trying to avoid having to fill all these requests. I tried emailing their support directly but they are very unhelpful. This is infuriating - ADATA should be taking responsibility for all these failed drives and yet it would appear that at the bare minimum they're not making it possible to get RMA service (5 years what a joke).

D

Deleted member 14196

Yet another reason not to deal with crappy companies like adata and I will never buy any of their detestable products. They ARE a joke

Jun 19, 2019
This has just happened to me. For me it's 100% down to windows 10
Attached are my benchmarks. The fastest one is taken in windows 7. The slower after upgrading to windows 10. Like everyone else the benchmarks were very poor in windows 10
Because of this the performance of windows 10 was terrible. Very slow to open photoshop etc

Even after rolling back to windows 7 my speeds were still terrible. In the end i had to do a clean windows 7 install to get the speeds back

Not only
34pb0ub.jpg

2psn1ty.jpg

D

Deleted member 14196

you should use a linux live usb and boot to that and test it from Linux to confirm your claims that it's windows 10

oh and upgrading win7 to 10 is NOT recommended. Pro tip. Always back up and verify your data, then do a Clean install

Jul 17, 2019
Same issue here. After using it for 10 months write speed is around 510MB/s. Previoulsy everything was fine. Tested it under windows as well as linux usb boot drive. Tried resizing partition did not work.

Jul 23, 2019
I have just purchased the SX8200 pro version and the Crystal benchmarks are showing considerably closer to specs than you people are getting. I run Windows 10 Pro on an ROG G752VL laptop. I found there is a definite difference depending on which slot I plug the SSD into. I also found a slightly newer driver for the Intel C230 that the drive is plugged into. That pushed the read speed up a bit. Too bad there are no newer drivers for the NVMe Devices as it still shows 2016 as the latest driver year. My read speed is 3223.7 and my Write speed is 2122.5. If I could find out how you uploaded the Images of the speedtest I would. Also make sure you have the most current firmware. Mine is showing as SS0328D. The toolbox does not seem to find any updates but there must be a way to get the newer version or perhaps it is just that mine is the Pro version of the SX8200 marked as an SX8200PNP

Jul 25, 2019
I had same issue. Bought SX8200 pro, cloned partition and got crappy results in Crystal Disk Mark (Seq Q32T1 = ~500). What I did was two things: Align Partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard and SSD Trim with ADATA SSD ToolBox. After that SX8200 is working like it should :)

Reactions: gustavobragac
Jul 23, 2019
As it turns out, the mistake was mine. I did not notice in the specs for the drive that the 512GB states a max of 3500 read and 2100 write. After running the Trim and checking the alignment everything is working as it should. Great drive and bang for the buck compared to other manufacturers.

Jul 25, 2019
I had same issue. Bought SX8200 pro, cloned partition and got crappy results in Crystal Disk Mark (Seq Q32T1 = ~500). What I did was two things: Align Partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard and SSD Trim with ADATA SSD ToolBox. After that SX8200 is working like it should :)
Thanks a lot inkvizytor!
This worked for me. Now i'm getting 3k reading and 2.1k writing. Before this I was stuck on 500mb writing.

Jul 23, 2019
I have a 256gb sx8200pro and my speeds is not good(advertised speeds for 256gb; 3500 read / 1200 write)

https://ibb.co/C6kdqD2

two things to do as others have said.
  1. use the toolbox and run the TRIM function. It takes a few minutes. You get the toolbox from the Adata web site.
  2. make sure that you have write caching turned on in the drive policy settings in device manager.
If I turn off the write cache my write speed drops significantly.

May 17, 2019
two things to do as others have said.
  1. use the toolbox and run the TRIM function. It takes a few minutes. You get the toolbox from the Adata web site.
  2. make sure that you have write caching turned on in the drive policy settings in device manager.
If I turn off the write cache my write speed drops significantly.
Yeah I had tried that already. I also checked partition alignment. Max speeds i have seen are around 2300 for read and 730 for write.

Jul 23, 2019
Yeah I had tried that already. I also checked partition alignment. Max speeds i have seen are around 2300 for read and 730 for write.
What size is the drive and what type of computer is it plugged into? The smaller the drive capacity the slower the write speeds are. Mine is a 512GB. the 256GB maxes out write speed at 1150-1200 and from what I have seen from others 700 might be the best you can actually achieve. The read speeds should get around 3000 though for any of the drives. The write speed difference seems to be true for any brand, the smaller the drive the slower the write speed.

May 17, 2019
What size is the drive and what type of computer is it plugged into? The smaller the drive capacity the slower the write speeds are. Mine is a 512GB. the 256GB maxes out write speed at 1150-1200 and from what I have seen from others 700 might be the best you can actually achieve. The read speeds should get around 3000 though for any of the drives. The write speed difference seems to be true for any brand, the smaller the drive the slower the write speed.
As i stated in a previous message drive is 256gb and advertised speeds for that size 3500write/1200 write. I checked out some videos and drive performs between 85%-95%of these values.
Drive is plugged into a Tongfang laptop GJ5CNE(I7-8750H GTX1060 2x8gb ram)

Jul 23, 2019
As i stated in a previous message drive is 256gb and advertised speeds for that size 3500write/1200 write. I checked out some videos and drive performs between 85%-95%of these values.
Drive is plugged into a Tongfang laptop GJ5CNE(I7-8750H GTX1060 2x8gb ram)
I have nothing else to suggest other than an RMA to get another drive but I wouldn't hold out much hope for any change. From what I have seen with these drives you will NEVER get 85% to 95% of the posted values with most PC's. I figured I was lucky to get the numbers I did with this one. I also have an HP Omen with a WD NVME drive and it gets only 710 for a write speed and 1100 for read speed. It really varies from one manufacturer to another. I have a Corsair NVME coming next week and will post results when I get it. It is rated 3480 read and 2000 write

May 17, 2019
I have nothing else to suggest other than an RMA to get another drive but I wouldn't hold out much hope for any change. From what I have seen with these drives you will NEVER get 85% to 95% of the posted values with most PC's. I figured I was lucky to get the numbers I did with this one. I also have an HP Omen with a WD NVME drive and it gets only 710 for a write speed and 1100 for read speed. It really varies from one manufacturer to another. I have a Corsair NVME coming next week and will post results when I get it. It is rated 3480 read and 2000 write
I dont want to rma, that would be too much of a hassle however if I can do anything on my part to fix this I would. Here is the link of a benchmark of the same drive(same size)(check minute 1:35)
View: https://youtu.be/gcXIEDJeuzA

Jul 23, 2019
I have also found that if you put the drive in a desktop it will always get better performance than in a laptop. Go figure. Other testers have confirmed that they believe the only way to max these out is in a desktop with the drive connecting on the mainboard not through a PCI-e adapter. With the laptop you have I would expect the write speed to be closer to specs though. Do you have more than 1 NVMe connection? If so try the other one as my G752 would not even get close to the specs when I used the second connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.