Adata Ultimate SU800 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Maybe you guys should start combining your SSD and power supply reviews. Two mints, two mints in one 'Hey, look what we have today.'
W.P.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Chris, Good honest review.
Question-Is there a benefit to over-provisioning compared to extra free space?
Example-256GB drive-156GB free space.
or 10GB OP and 146GB free space.
(boot drive-light duty)

kalmquist

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
The Micron 3D NAND has been a big disappointment. I haven't read anything about the performance of Toshiba's 3D NAND, but the lack of SSD's using it suggests that its performance may be even worse than Micron's. (Toshiba chose MLC planar NAND for their recently released VX500 series.) I'd like to see some company step up and put a little competitive pressure on Samsung.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015

Toshiba's BiCS is at Gen 2 Awith 3 announced and used in the new iPhone. We have and article in rhe pipe that uses BiCS 2 in our upcoming 11 drive DRAMless roundup. Ir is only an engineering sample though.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Intel is a mess when they can't fix their problems with just money. AMD had tons of products stuck on 32nm A8 Phenom II-class APU, Bulldozer, Piledriver...

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Would be nice if you asked the providers like ADATA for comment. I remember when everyone blasted the Kingston V300 SSDs but they are world class in comparison to a lot of the junk passing for an SSD today. On a side note I bought a lot of V300 SSDs and all of them have performed admirably. Tough little drives.

icester1973

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Another Adata product with sub-par performance? Hardly surprising. Along with sub-par performance, you can expect HORRIBLE product support!

My HP laptop was always returning an "Operating System Not Found" error upon every reboot since the Windows 10 Anniversary update with the SP600. None of my other systems with other brands of SSDs had this problem. Updated all the drivers, including ACHI and the problem persists. Tried to update the SP600's firmware -- nope! The updater wouldn't work! I pulled the drive and used a USB dock and a Windows 7 system and their updater wouldn't even see the drive even though it shows up in Explorer! What a mess!
Finally, I cloned the drive to a different brand and, behold!, all problems are solved! My wife even commented that the new drive was faster.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008

I picked up a 480 GB V300 during a sale last year for less than what the current TLC junk sells for. Slightly slower than my 500 GB 850 Evo, but not by much. Very underrated drives.

Bruce427

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have never purchased an ADATA SSD, but I have used ADATA flash drives in the past and they generally benchmark close to Sequential Read and Write specs (ATTO)/CrystalDiskMark).

However, when using DiskBench other competitive brands actually transfer data much faster -- which is the only thing that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS