ADATA Unveils the SX2000 1600 GB Solid State Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Well someone should come out with SSD's designed for the home NAS. Large capacity, low power, with less focus on speed since even a slow SSD will still be faster than a WD Red HDD or similar. Less electricity, less heat, much lower initialisation current draw. A slow consumer 2.5" 2TB SATA SSD has to be a heap cheaper than a PCIe enterprise one.

Eric Van Boven

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
The controller doesnt add that much cost, its the size of the memory in it to make that much space. This is why samsung started playing with tlc memory and it saves some money versus mlc. Tlc is slower, but also has less writes. Mine you, better controllers do cost some, but right now they know if the people complaining cant afford 120gb drives, their is no way they can afford 1600gb. The price is not even that outrageous knowing how many benefits ssd gives you over hd. Not worrying about hd randomly dieing is worth alot...let alone programs opening instantly and low boot times.

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Actually, when a hard disk is about to die, there's always some signs that come with it. Its easier to predict when a HDD will die compared to SSD that may die without warning.

Also, if a HDD with important stuff stops working, there are some services that may salvage data from it.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I know a lot of people are still saying they are too pricey but even a nice 60gb SSD (can find on sale for $50 from time to time) will really make your system scream compared to a HDD. I know it can suck putting the OS on one drive and all you large non-essential programs and data on another... but it is so worth it. I bought my first SSD (60gb OCZ Agility) in early 2010 and never looked back. The difference between a WD Black drive was amazing. The drive is still working great today.

G

If they used a 3.5" case with dual SATA connection they could have 4x this storage at twice the speed

Exactly. I love my SSDs, but don't trust them any further than I could throw a 500-lb gorilla. Everything is constantly backed up on a home NAS with an HDD array. As someone who has had more than his share of memory failures in builds over the years, I do not have a high confidence level in SSDs...even as one who has yet to suffer a failure from all three of them, the oldest being 3 years and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.