Question ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G 512GB Extremely Slow Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Hello guys,

I'm having some problems with my newly built PC which has 9700K on a ASUS Z390 E GAMING Motherboard with only a single nvme 1.3 ssd installed on the port M.2_1 (the one at the top). ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G is being advertised as a 3500 / 3000 SSD, however I'm having some extremely slow readings from Crystal Disk Mark:

https://ibb.co/mvg7tK9 (there was a problem with other image hosts)

Crsytal mark shows: 1024.8 MBs Read / 674.8 MBs Write which seems painfully slow for a 1.3 nvme ssd.

I've checked HWinfo and BIOS Settings multiple times and everything seems to be in order where the PCIe is using Gen3 x4 settings. There are no other storage units installed on the PC, only this single nvme SSD and naturally the Windows 10 pro is on it (using GPT Partition).

I'm currently using XMP 1 Profile for the Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro RAMS. (3000MHz)

Honestly, don't have any clue what might be causing this slow down. Any advice would be very welcome.

Last edited:

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Try the M.2_2 slot and see if there is a change and speed on the test.
By the way, you won't see a difference in performance between 1k-3k in real day to day usage.

Gonna try that as soon as i'm home. I've felt the difference unfortunately, that's what made me check things out in the first place. My laptop felt much faster when i used them side by side (EVO 960 with i7 8750H), that's when i decided to run some benchmarks on the SSD. Windows 10 felt sluggish and slow at some tasks while using the desktop.

Last edited:

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Tonight i went to my friends place and took the SSD with me. He and i got the same PC config, with the exception of his extra Western Digital nvme SSD at the bottom. He uses it as his main SSD and XPG S40G as his second. So we swapped his XPG with mine, rebooted from WD, ran a benchmark and boom. Readings are off the charts. 3200 / 2100 something. HOWEVER, when we booted from my SSD, and ran the test again, the readings are down once again.

Last edited:

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
"Hello Adata, I need an RMA..."

Why? SSD works perfectly on my friends computer when plugged in as a non-OS data drive (I swapped his XPG with my XPG, identical S40G's). Crystal Mark tells me that its ratings are 3200 Read / 2100 Write. But when we boot from it, readings go down to 900 MB/s - 600 once again. Don't think it's a BIOS option now, since it has been tested on the same motherboard, with 2 different outcomes, where only difference is the OS booted from.

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Did you install their driver/firmware update from last month?
https://www.xpg.com/en/download/610/?action=download_gc&piid=610&lan=en

Well since XPG was the only SSD I had at the moment, and the fact that flash utility requires the OS to be running on another drive in order to upgrade XPG's FW, I've managed to create a bootable Windows USB with WinToUSB software and ran the flash utility through there successfully... After that i've installed Win 10 on XPG once again.

And guess what ? S40G is now blazing fast with 3500 / 2300 Values !

Last edited:

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Update: After installing motherboard drivers through Asus Armoury Crate software, readings went downhill once again (450 / 200). Guess this was the issue all along and i didn't notice, since i never run any tests before installing drivers... Now the main suspect is chipset drivers ?!? Something is conflicting with XPG's operation.

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Not only i've done a clean install of windows, but i also disabled Asus Armoury Crate from the BIOS itself. Now that it's gone, i'm gonna do a complete Windows Update and check the results.

Edit: Everything is still normal after windows updates. Problem Solved. Don't use ASUS Armoury Crate. Thank you all for your help & time.

Last edited:

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I have found the exact culprit. Shockingly, as soon as i install Asus AURA, (Armoury Crate contains AURA's newest version in it, so they are related) speed of the SSD dips down. I uninstall it, it goes back to 3500/2300 ratings. Since this is an RGB SSD, AURA (or Armoury Crate in that manner)'s RGB control drivers are conflicting with the SSD's operation somehow, causing slow downs.

Reactions: ddscesd

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Weird! Can you report it to Asus?

Yes, as soon as my 24 hour forum wait time ends, i'm gonna post my findings to Asus forum website. Their latest Aura software added support for S40G Spectrix, so maybe the earlier versions leave the SSD alone and not cause this problem. But after so many formats, i'm not eager to try it out just to sync my lights.

Nov 11, 2019
I have found the exact culprit. Shockingly, as soon as i install Asus AURA, (Armoury Crate contains AURA's newest version in it, so they are related) speed of the SSD dips down. I uninstall it, it goes back to 3500/2300 ratings. Since this is an RGB SSD, AURA (or Armoury Crate in that manner)'s RGB control drivers are conflicting with the SSD's operation somehow, causing slow downs.

Hi I just want to thank you. I got the same m2 and had the same problem with Armoury and Asus Aura. I did a fresh windows installation and I got a downgrade from 3500 mb/s to 300-400 mb/s as soon I install Aura Software. I just create an account in rog forum too (waiting the 24 hours wait time) to report the problem right beside your post.

My System:
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) (LGA1151)
  • Intel Core i9 @ 3.60GHz (OC to 5.0ghz)
  • XPG Spectrix D60G @ 3600MHz
  • XPG S40G SPECTRIX 512 GB SSD (same model than you, same problem)
  • ST4000DM004 Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive
  • ASUS Rog Ryujin 360 CPU AIO
  • Windows 10 pro (1903)
Hope they fix the asap. Its awful i get a full rgb than I cant control cause my OS is inside de s40g unit.

Reactions: audicted

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Hi I just want to thank you. I got the same m2 and had the same problem with Armoury and Asus Aura. I did a fresh windows installation and I got a downgrade from 3500 mb/s to 300-400 mb/s as soon I install Aura Software. I just create an account in rog forum too (waiting the 24 hours wait time) to report the problem right beside your post.

My System:
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) (LGA1151)
  • Intel Core i9 @ 3.60GHz (OC to 5.0ghz)
  • XPG Spectrix D60G @ 3600MHz
  • XPG S40G SPECTRIX 512 GB SSD (same model than you, same problem)
  • ST4000DM004 Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive
  • ASUS Rog Ryujin 360 CPU AIO
  • Windows 10 pro (1903)
Hope they fix the asap. Its awful i get a full rgb than I cant control cause my OS is inside de s40g unit.

Glad it helped. Spent so many hours formatting I've forgot the count :) I also bought a XPG SX8200 PRO but haven't got the chance to try it out with AURA. Lightning fast SSD with such low price, it's a steal. Spectrix S40G and SX8200 Pro is almost identical in everyway, apart from the RGB design of S40G. For it's price range, thinking S40G will be very popular among builders in due time, hence causing ASUS further headaches. This issue needs fixing ASAP...

D

Deleted member 14196

When I said clean windows install I meant windows only no extra crap. And it was the extra crap that was screwing you. You don’t need any of that extra stuff all you need is what windows provides. When we say clean install we mean format and install windows only

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
When I said clean windows install I meant windows only no extra crap. And it was the extra crap that was screwing you. You don’t need any of that extra stuff all you need is what windows provides. When we say clean install we mean format and install windows only

Yes i agree, but it is only a workaround while not narrowing the subject down to the main cause of the issue. Not exactly a solution, but it was only a mid-step towards finding it. Extra crap, indeed, but it is also an essential RGB software for those who would like to get the most out from their RGB stuff, which they paid for a 'beautiful lightshow'. The "need" is irrelevant here.

Additionally, Windows Drivers is not always on point, for example my motherboards audio drivers was not working on a 4.1 speaker system until I've updated them from the Asus website, so expecting everything from Windows Update can sometimes let you down. What i do most of the time, is to just leave the device on a Windows Driver, unless something is not working as i've expected (excluding GPU Drivers ofc).

Nov 20, 2019
I have the same ssd and same issue. You should not have to uninstall Aura Sync/ArmorCrate. Just go into ArmorCrate and uncheck your ssd from aura sync and speeds should go back to normal. I can run speed tests with it checked and unchecked and I can see the change instantly. I keep it installed so I can change the motherboard lights, but just turn off the XPG so it doesnt mess with my speeds. Hopefully Asus or ADATA can sort out the issue because I really want to use Aura Sync.

audicted

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I think I've lost faith in these softwares CPU and resource management so not gonna risk anything by installing it back. If they've failed to test a basic parameter like this one, guess what else is wrong under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.