[SOLVED] Adata XPG SX8200 PRO slow. How to solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020
Hi there

I've just bought a new ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO SSD (512GB) today.

Unfortunately, it is not preforming well. Read/write speeds are 820mb tops on Crystal clear.

Scenario:
  • I cloned my hdd 500gb to the SSD;
  • Windows 10 64bits;
  • ASUS z97-e/usb3.1 (1x M.2 slot gen 3);
  • Removed all sata drives;
  • The drive appears in the Bios section "nvme devices);
  • did not find driver update for the ssd.;
  • in the bios, I see two drives (one ADATA Windows boot manager, and one ADATA sx8220 only - the windows only boot from the Windows boot manager);
  • I am a PCloud user; when I run the crystal Disk testing the PCloud virtual drive, the speeding teases to 1,500mb (better, but slow when compared to the expected speed).

What I've done so far:
  • bios update;
  • changed bios settings;
  • dismount PCloud drive.

Please, help!

Another similar but old thread is here

Solution
If you read pg. x of the manual, it states for M.2 & SATA Express: the latest transfer technologies with up to 10Gb/s data-transfer speeds. This is x2 PCIe 2.0, that is 2x5 Gbps = 10 Gbps, then you have 8b/10b encoding that brings it down to 8 Gbps, and finally there's some latency/overhead that lowers it further to roughly 900 MB/s.
Hi there

I've just bought a new ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO SSD (512GB) today.

Unfortunately, it is not preforming well. Read/write speeds are 820mb tops on Crystal clear.

Scenario:
  • I cloned my hdd 500gb to the SSD;
  • Windows 10 64bits;
  • ASUS z97-e/usb3.1 (1x M.2 slot gen 3);
  • Removed all sata drives;
  • The drive appears in the Bios section "nvme devices);
  • did not find driver update for the ssd.;
  • in the bios, I see two drives (one ADATA Windows boot manager, and one ADATA sx8220 only - the windows only boot from the Windows boot manager);
  • I am a PCloud user; when I run the crystal Disk testing the PCloud virtual drive, the speeding teases to 1,500mb (better, but slow when compared to the expected speed).

What I've done so far:
  • bios update;
  • changed bios settings;
  • dismount PCloud drive.
Please, help!

Another similar but old thread is here

That slot is a 1250 max speed and it won’t achieve that. With that old motherboard that’s as fast as you will get.

Jul 13, 2020
I understand what @Maxxify and @bmockeg are saying. However, I can obtain the performances below when I test the virtual drive within the SSD. Does it support the idea that the M.2 slot is limiting the speed?

CrystalClear_Results

Also, ASUS page brings the following excerpts, which supported my buying since I interpreted that M.2. Socket 3 = x4 (did I miss something here?):
Onboard M.2 and SATA Express with 10Gbit/s transfer speeds
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1
*1: M.2 Socket 3 shares bandwidth with SATA Express port.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If you read pg. x of the manual, it states for M.2 & SATA Express: the latest transfer technologies with up to 10Gb/s data-transfer speeds. This is x2 PCIe 2.0, that is 2x5 Gbps = 10 Gbps, then you have 8b/10b encoding that brings it down to 8 Gbps, and finally there's some latency/overhead that lowers it further to roughly 900 MB/s.

Reactions: dmenaze
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.