Adata XPG SX8200 SSD Review: Great Performance Meets Stellar Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hurray for us! Does the Adata software include a custom driver? If not, has the stock Windows driver been improved? I seem to recall(this is old, I know) that intel and samsung's custom drivers(960 not 970) added a bit to performance and where is the industry, in general, on this topic?

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
240GB Verdict/Score Box is on Page 2: 512GB Performance Testing.
480GB Verdict/Score Box is on Page 3: 256GB Performance Testing.

It should be the other way around.

because it is an SSD.

NVME vs SATA are interfaces(standards).

kind of like how IDE was replaced with SATA years back. For the time, they still have quite a few SATA SSDs to choose from.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
"SSD" means "solid-state disk," meaning it uses flash memory instead of spinning mechanical disks.

"NVMe" is a logical interface, meaning it is a communication standard. (Personally, I'd call it a protocol.) That means it is not a physical standard, but rather, it dictates the terms of data being communicated.

"AHCI" is also a logical interface. It is what NVMe replaces. NVMe can be implemented on PCIe, while AHCI can be implemented on both PCIe and SATA.

SATA and PCIe are both bus interfaces. So that means they dictate physical connections and electrical standards. Again, the SATA bus will be paired with the AHCI logical interface, while the PCIe bus can be paired with either the AHCI or NVMe logical interfaces.

So any SSD can come in 3 types:
(1) SATA with AHCI
(2) PCIe with AHCI
(3) PCIe with NVMe

#2 was short-lived. A few PCIe drives were released before NVMe was released. Hence PCIe with AHCI. But now virtually all SSDs are either #1 or #3.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"This is a nice feature that allows you to install the drive without the hassle of reinstalling Windows and all your software. "

Or just use something like Macrium Reflect Free, works fine.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

This is the paragraph describing the real world software performance. The author includes a bunch of juicy details about the xpg 8200 trailing or leading other SSDs in performance. The differences between SSDs here are exaggerated though. If you study the charts, you'll see that every SSD listed performs exactly the SAME.

The truth about real world performance is that you're better off using an SSD than you are a mechanical hard drive. There's nothing else to analyse.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
My worry is reliability. AData products always seem to have great prices, but I have had such bad luck with their products (memory, SSD, USB Flash) failing over the years that I won't even consider them any more.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017

Its a matter of luck more than anything. Ive had the same adata ssd in my plex server for 3 years now, and we're talking HEAVY caching, probably close to 2,000 transcodes and constant updates or previews and thumbnails.But ive never had an issue with it. My corsair nuetron XTI drive that i paid big bucks for failed after 6 months (phison controller) MydigitalSSD BPX nvme failed after 3 months (phison controller) both of those drives were rather expensive, compared to my adata, and were under far less strenuous workloads. It all just boils down to luck of the silicon. That being said i will never in a million years buy another product with a phison controller.

Jun 26, 2018
I have bought and installed ADATA XPG SX8200 960GB in my Dell Xps 13 9350 and installed W10 from Dell Recovery flash. Everything works fine and fast, speed in the benchmark is as in the test(with the only exception of sequential read and write, but my notebook is known of using only PCIx2 lanes not x4 so it is ok). The only problem is, that both latest Adata SSD Toolbox and CrystalDiskInfo 7.6.1 do not see this disk at all! What might be the problem?
AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark work flawlessly! AS SSD name it:
Name: ADATA SX8200NP
Firmware: SVN139B
Controller: iaStorAC
Offset: 119808 K - OK

Thats a bit odd as I can cleary see it in the ADATA SSD Toolbox. Can you see the drive in Hardware Info? Also in the BIOS, what mode is it set to, AHCI, RAID, SATA etc...

Somebody suggested doing this as he to could not see the drive though could in Bios:

Solved it. Disabling "SATA Operations" in BIOS fixed it.
In BIOS (F2)

System Configuration --> SATA Operation

change "RAID On" to "Disabled"
(Disable =The SATA controllers are hidden).
I don't understand the reason. Hopefully someone can explain this.
Thanks for the help.

For anybody else who comes across this thread trying to solve Dell NVMe SSD issues as I did, I just wanted to add that I was able to solve the issue by switching the SATA Operation from "RAID" to "AHCI" in the BIOS. I did not want to disable the SATA bus altogether, as I have a couple non-RAIDed SATA drives plugged in.

I should also note this was on an Optiplex 7040 desktop tower, and also that I only ran into this issue when using UEFI boot mode. I did not have any issues with the BIOS in "Legacy boot" configuration

Jul 2, 2018
hi, want to install on my laptop Dell G3 15 (3579),
which i should pick sx8200 or gammix s11 both almost at the same price for 240GB,

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
Its the first ssd i bought, 240gb . Net price 480gb is still high
No regrets , yet

Consider it just cost a bit more than mx500, which maxed out sata port speed limit already

Status
Not open for further replies.