[SOLVED] Add 2nd fan to U14S, or extra case fans

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
On a PC with Noctua U14S, Meshify C case, Ryzen 3950X cpu.

The Meshify C comes with a single 120mm intake fan on the front. And a single 120mm exhaust fan at the rear. The front has space for 3x120mm fans, or 2x140mm fans.

Would it be better to:

• replace the front case fan with 2 NF-A14s?
  • add a second NF-A15 to the cooler?

Last edited:
Solution
The the above comments imply that if I add fans, then the temperature won't drop much, but the clock speed might go up a little?
Yes.
Just the high thread count loads though. Your 3950X will still hit 4.7ghz on light loads - it may gain another 40mhz over it's current attainable frequency in heavy loads.

According to this, adding 2 AF14 fans to the front dropped CPU temps by 7 degrees, but that was on an i7-6700k CPU:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3061-fractal-meshify-c-review-vs-define-c#:~:text=Although our review of the,the GPU from cooling adequately.
The frequencies on Intel's cpus aren't affected by power and thermal headroom, except for the power and thermal limits.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, neither?
If the Meshify C already has 2-3 front intakes and a top and rear exhaust, then there's not much to be gained from adding or replacing fans.
Adding a 2nd NF-A15 won't change much there either.

Now, if you just want to do the above just to do it... hey, no one can stop ya.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
I have a Meshify C case with 2 120mm Fractal Design Fans in the front for an intake and 1 in the rear for an exhaust. I have a R5-3600x with the NH-U14S cooler. I added the second NF-A15 fan in the pull position and it lowered the CPU temp by 1 to 2 degrees. It's something, but not a lot. However, with the higher heat load from the 3950X, you should see a little more temperature drop.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a R5-3600x with the NH-U14S cooler. I added the second NF-A15 fan in the pull position and it lowered the CPU temp by 1 to 2 degrees. It's something, but not a lot. However, with the higher heat load from the 3950X, you should see a little more temperature drop.
Power limits aside, the Ryzen 3000 cpus will push for higher frequencies - however slight - when they are given more thermal headroom, much like Nvidia's gpus.
Intel's cpus don't behave in this manner; you'd have seen a larger drop in thermals with a cpu with similar power draw.

Reactions: glennhl

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The the above comments imply that if I add fans, then the temperature won't drop much, but the clock speed might go up a little?
Yes.
Just the high thread count loads though. Your 3950X will still hit 4.7ghz on light loads - it may gain another 40mhz over it's current attainable frequency in heavy loads.

According to this, adding 2 AF14 fans to the front dropped CPU temps by 7 degrees, but that was on an i7-6700k CPU:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3061-fractal-meshify-c-review-vs-define-c#:~:text=Although our review of the,the GPU from cooling adequately.
The frequencies on Intel's cpus aren't affected by power and thermal headroom, except for the power and thermal limits.

Solution