[SOLVED] Add a GPU to an HP 280 G3 i5- 8500 ?

Nov 25, 2020
So I got one of these sff hp desktops just for helping when they were replaced. The thing is I have the same problem many have faced before with their hp proprietary psu, as 180w is not enough for virtually anything besides using the PC as is. So i had two ideas:

Buying a bigger case and throwing in another psu just for the gpu, or somehow fit a better psu. In both cases I buy a bigger case so that´s no problem. The thing is, I´m not sure if I can connect a secondary psu to just the gpu or if I can somehow adapt a psu other than the proprietary hp ones. Any suggestion/idea is welcomed. Forgive me if I made any mistakes, I just started learning english.

Solution
So I got one of these sff hp desktops just for helping when they were replaced. The thing is I have the same problem many have faced before with their hp proprietary psu, as 180w is not enough for virtually anything besides using the PC as is. So i had two ideas:

Buying a bigger case and throwing in another psu just for the gpu, or somehow fit a better psu. In both cases I buy a bigger case so that´s no problem. The thing is, I´m not sure if I can connect a secondary psu to just the gpu or if I can somehow adapt a psu other than the proprietary hp ones. Any suggestion/idea is welcomed. Forgive me if I made any mistakes, I just started learning english.

You may be able to take the CPU/RAM and drive from that system, get a...
The stock PSU does indeed look "flatter" than TFX. Doesn't hurt to measure on your machine.

What CPU is installed in your machine?

What GPU are you looking at? Really the most you're going to get is a GTX1650 since you need a low profile GPU. That's a 75W GPU. The thing with these SFF PCs is that sometimes they don't support the full/standard 75W on the x16 slot, so need to look into that. The next step down is basically a GT1030....that wouldn't need a PSU change.

You may be able to take the CPU/RAM and drive from that system, get a standard motherboard/case/power supply/video card and build a system while saving about 250 on the parts. Since you need to buy a new PSU and video card, really the only extra cost is about 150 on a case and motherboard, maybe less if you go cheap on the case. Need a 300 series motherboard chipset https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...126380/intel-300-series-desktop-chipsets.html

Solution