[SOLVED] Add a new SSD to current RAID 0 setup?

bohmfalkcw

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
I have an old setup with 2 350GB HDDs in RAID 0. Can I add my new 500GB SSD in some sort of RAID with the SSD for redundancy?

I've been trying to figure out how to clone the old hard drives to the SSD and remove the old hard drives, but that's not seeming possible without buying some expensive cloning software (at which point I might as well just rebuild windows, as I'm not really concerned with losing data).

Solution
I have an old setup with 2 350GB HDDs in RAID 0. Can I add my new 500GB SSD in some sort of RAID with the SSD for redundancy?

I've been trying to figure out how to clone the old hard drives to the SSD and remove the old hard drives, but that's not seeming possible without buying some expensive cloning software (at which point I might as well just rebuild windows, as I'm not really concerned with losing data).
If you aren't concerned with losing data. Then do a clean windows install. That will provide the best performance and least possible problems. Disconnect the RAID drives, set the BIOS to AHCI connect the SSD and do an install. Having a clean Windows registry can do wonders for performance.

kanewolf

Titan

If you aren't concerned with losing data. Then do a clean windows install. That will provide the best performance and least possible problems. Disconnect the RAID drives, set the BIOS to AHCI connect the SSD and do an install. Having a clean Windows registry can do wonders for performance.

Solution
What? Macrium Reflect free - can't do it for you?

Two 350GB in raid 0 is 700GB. He only bought a 500GB SSD. Thats a no go.

Go to bios. Set achi to boot from usb first. Run windows install. Be sure to pick the new ssd.

If you had windows pro installed before, you'll likely have to enter your old password to access your old files.

I wouldnt worry about steam games. Your data is saved to the cloud for most games.

Reactions: bohmfalkcw

bohmfalkcw

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
Thanks. Is there anything I need to do to prep the SSD? Should I setup a bootable windows install first? (Sorry, it’s been years since I’ve done this)