[SOLVED] Add another 16GB C16 3000MHz or Swap to 16GB C16 3600MHz?

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
I currently have Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz C16 RAM. I bought it way back forever ago with my little Ryzen 2200G.

Fast forward a few years and after many rebuilds and upgrades, I now have a Ryzen 5600X. I know Ryzen is very much into fast RAM, but I also know that this generation Ryzen is also really into running 4x single rank RAM.

I'm curious if it would be "better" to upgrade to faster, same latency (3600MHz C16) RAM but keep capacity and stick quantity the same (2x8GB single rank), OR would it be more wise to just add two more sticks of the 3000MHz C16, then having 4x8GB.

I mostly use my PC for gaming, browsing, and photo/video editing (lightly, it's a hobby not a profession) and I'm aware that realistically I probably wouldn't notice a difference either way, but I have some spare cheddar and am otherwise happy with my build.

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
You'd be best off ditching the DDR4-3000MHz ram kit and investing into the DDR4-3600MHz ram kit. In fact if you can get tighter timings if you're not having to spend too much over a C16 kit.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
You'd be best off ditching the DDR4-3000MHz ram kit and investing into the DDR4-3600MHz ram kit. In fact if you can get tighter timings if you're not having to spend too much over a C16 kit.
This was where I was more leaning into as well. It does seem odd to swap out 16GB with 16GB, but that also opens up my ability to sell my current set.

I'll wait for others input but I believe I agree with you this far.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
With your current usage, how much RAM do you use?
If not over 16GB, adding more won;t help.
Honestly this logic is why I'm leaning more into upgrading instead of adding. Even when I'm editing it doesn't really get used up to a noticable level.

And as far as actual boost in performance, while I know it won't huge (or even noticable really) when I get extra money to put into my system I like to try and future proof it a bit. I personally think starting now with faster RAM is more important,but I've been wrong before, hence the post, haha.

USAFRet

Titan
Honestly this logic is why I'm leaning more into upgrading instead of adding. Even when I'm editing it doesn't really get used up to a noticable level.

And as far as actual boost in performance, while I know it won't huge (or even noticable really) when I get extra money to put into my system I like to try and future proof it a bit. I personally think starting now with faster RAM is more important,but I've been wrong before, hence the post, haha.
Unless you can sell your current 2x8GB for a reasonable price, I wouldn't bother.