Question Add another 16gb or buy a 16 gb set and throw away the current one?!

Jun 3, 2019
hello, I'm in a bit of a tight spot here.

I bought an msi laptop (msi ge73vr 7rf raider) that came with a single 16gb ram stick (Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MH 2400) now I've been suffering because the 7700hq is a dual channel dependent CPU so I've been losing a lot of frames in games.

thing is my budget only allows for either an extra 16 gb stick or get 2x8gb sticks (the laptop has 2 slots).

now an extra 16gb stick would seem like the right answer but I've been hearing about compatibility issues if u get 2 different sticks from 2 different brands?

keep in mind if i get a dual 8gb i'll probably raise the speed (i have no idea whats the maximum speed my motherboard can take but i'll probably get a 2666 set.)

so whats the better idea, 2x 8gbs and throw away the old one (or sell it but no one here buys aftermarket stuff) or add another 16gb stick with the risk of compatibility issues (heard the risk is even bigger when u r going for those big memory sticks).

idk if this should've been in the laptop department but if it was the mods can feel free to move it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think I'd take a chance and go with the 2nd 16GB stick. But only if I could match it to the one already installed. Not a matched pair, but probably close enough to avoid instability problems when stressed.

Btw, That is an odd designation for Kingston RAM. Can you find any on the web? If so, link me to it please.

Jun 3, 2019
I think I'd take a chance and go with the 2nd 16GB stick. But only if I could match it to the one already installed. Not a matched pair, but probably close enough to avoid instability problems when stressed.

Btw, That is an odd designation for Kingston RAM. Can you find any on the web? If so, link me to it please.

it seems like it's a ram module that was made for msi laptops i guess? because i can't really find any aftermarket versions (you find them in amazon or ebay but they're all out of stock) https://ram.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/327972/Kingston-MSI24D4S7D8MH-16-1x16GB here's a page with some benchmarks. Seems like a bad ram stick though.

i found a 32 gb kit though that costs just 30 usd more than the 16gb stick that kinda best matches this one (it's a Kingston stick with the same specs just different model number), here's a link to it: https://www.newegg.com/global/sa-en/g-skill-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820232156 the price is kinda scaring me though, seems too good to be true.