Add another m.2 ssd in msi gt72vr dominator pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I just got a msi gt72vr dominator pro and i think it is called a m.2 ssd. It's 256gb I wanna add another one on . How would I go about this? Any help is grateful I'm new to this type of ssd. It looks like I can only have that one chip in but I saw a YouTube video of whatever the piece is called that it plugs into they had 4 inputs on it . Thanks alot

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Oh ok thank you, is there any way I can add a card on the m.2 slot to make it more then one ? If that makes sense it looks like it has the room to fit it, just not sure what that connection is called.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The laptop in that video is the original MSI GT72 Dominator, you have the GT72VR which is different. Here's a quote from the Notebook Review article I quoted earlier:
There's no denying that the GT72S houses one of the most internal storage options available for a 17.3-inch gaming notebook at 6x storage bays (4x M.2, 1x 2.5-inch SATA III, 1x ODD). Now that the GT72 series is being bumped down to make room for the GT73VR, however, MSI has removed a number of slots so that the GT72VR offers only one M.2 slot, one ODD, and one 2.5-inch SATA III bay with no RAID options.

profnick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

Did you get yours figured out? I have a GT72-2QE and it actually has 2 x 128GB m.2 2280 in Raid 0 so it appears like 256. It has an adapter that lets you mount 4 (2 on each side). I'm betting you have 2 more open slots, but for the price of 2 more 128's you might be better off getting 1 - 1TB and skip the RAID and still have room for expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.