Add another r9 390x or sell it for RX 480 crossfire?

Poogobbler

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I've got an ASUS r9 390x. I am contemplating buying another one for Crossfire however, with AIB RX 480s coming out (hopefully soon), I was thinking of going that route for a lower power consumption Crossfire setup. Asus R9 390x models are going for about $300 used on eBay. I'm concerned that my Seasonic 850 watt PSU you will not be enough so Id probably be tacking on another $150 dollars to the $300 R9 390x. Other option would be 2, $275 RX 480s once the AIB ones are available. What do you guys think?

Solution
Well the 390x is more powerful than the new 480s but as you said yourself it comes at the price of higher power usage. So far I haven't really been impressed by the 480 range in general-if you're dead set on going for a crossfire config I'd personally go for the 390x path.
Well the 390x is more powerful than the new 480s but as you said yourself it comes at the price of higher power usage. So far I haven't really been impressed by the 480 range in general-if you're dead set on going for a crossfire config I'd personally go for the 390x path.

Solution

Ben_127

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Price to performance wise, two 8GB RX 480s are way better but if it's solid performance you're after, go for another R9 390X. But as Greeko said, 390Xs drain quite a bit more power so you may need a better PSU (although I don't know for sure). Personally I'm going for two 480s as they're newer therefore they'll have support and new drivers for longer and they're a lot better with DX12 due to newer architecture. The main problem I have with the 480s in CrossFire is noise, they sound like a fighter jet taking off if noise is an issue for you.

Poogobbler

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Poogobbler

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
To your point about the reference 480's being quite loud.. Considering for whatever reason the RX 480 reference or non are very hard to come by, I would just hold out for a Sapphire Nitro+ 8Gb. It seems to be the quietest model so far. Newegg had them for about 8 hours about 2 weeks ago and they have been out of stock since. Its sad really.. While AMD and AIB partners struggle to keep up with demand, Nvidia is soaking up thousands of potential gpu customers daily with their seemingly limitless stock. I've had to widdle down my reasoning for holding out for an AIB partner RX 480 to Freesync alone because I just bought a new Freesync monitor. I can easily sell my R9 390X and have stopped counting the amount of turned down offers ive been shelling out simply because I dont want to be without my main PC. If the red team could get their sh@t together id be all set.