add another router

technicallychallenged

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
The cable company's modem/router combo is in the front room
I want to connect the router in my bedroom wirelessly to give my TV better WiFi signal
Can I connect to the modem / router combo wirelessly without any ethernet cable
The combo is Arris DG2470 . Haven't purchased a router yet want to see if I can connect wirelessly first

Solution
The last choice is always an extender.

A much better solution is adding an access point, actually a cheap router configured as an access point. Since you cannot connect with an Ethernet cable (which is optimal) your next choice is to connect the AP to your main router with a pair of AV1200 MIMO capable powerline adapters (see HERE for the real world speeds that you will get, basically around 250-300Mbps).

I've used these in hundreds of installations and not had a single unhappy user. The AV1200 MIMO PL adapters now run around $50-75 a pair and a TP-Link router for around $30-50 works well as the AP.

Simple and reliable, with very low latency, which extenders lack -- not to mention extenders halve your already decreased...

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
What you are proposing is using a device known as a repeater or range extender for the bedroom wifi. Range extenders can be helpful but are also pretty limiting. They need to be placed where the wifi signal is fairly good to retransmit it to where the signal is not good. It is kind of a hit or miss proposition requiring finding good physical placement, not necessarily the best practical placement. For instance it may just on the other side of a wall from the bedroom even if there is no electric plug there. If you go this route, get a device that is designed to serve as a range extender not just another router.

An alternative would be to use powerline adapters. Since you already have electric power near the Arris and the TV, a pair of powerline adapters will be easy to set up and should give you fast enough internet service for the TV. If the TV has an ethernet port, then you could skip the wifi all together, which is a good thing when it comes to video streaming. Nevertheless, you could also have wifi, using a new router set up as an access point, so other devices can connect.

I don't use powerline at home any more so I don't have a specific recommendation, but recommend that you buy the fastest rated class of adapters, usually sold as "AV1200." Powerline can be good but is far from foolproof, is subject to interference and one brand may work better than another in your home. So faster class adapters are likely to provide the throughput for streaming video under difficult conditions.

Whether you try a range extender or powerline networking, buy from a vendor, local if possible, with a customer friendly return policy in case it doesn't work for you.

The pages linked below provide some objective ratings as guidance for choosing range extender of powerline adapter.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/wireless-extender/view
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
This is what we bought for our house. It's cheap, its reliable, it works with any wifi (I'm pretty sure). Very simple to use if you read the instructions. Once you get it setup, that's it! Now our wifi covers our ENTIRE house and basement, and most of our yard (we have a large property). Highly recommended

RealBeast

Titan
The last choice is always an extender.

A much better solution is adding an access point, actually a cheap router configured as an access point. Since you cannot connect with an Ethernet cable (which is optimal) your next choice is to connect the AP to your main router with a pair of AV1200 MIMO capable powerline adapters (see HERE for the real world speeds that you will get, basically around 250-300Mbps).

I've used these in hundreds of installations and not had a single unhappy user. The AV1200 MIMO PL adapters now run around $50-75 a pair and a TP-Link router for around $30-50 works well as the AP.

Simple and reliable, with very low latency, which extenders lack -- not to mention extenders halve your already decreased wireless signal where they are placed.

Solution

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016

Actually most extenders also have an ethernet port, but I suppose it still isn't as fast as ethernet to an actual router.