Add another Win 7 to XP/ Win 7 Dual boot

byronator

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I bought a new computer that came with a Win 7 HP license, however I already have a copy of Win 7 Ultimate on another smaller HDD that dual boots with XP.

I have copied the Win 7 HP partition to the smaller HDD that has dual boot Win 7 Ultimate / XP using EASUS Partition Manager. Then I disk copied the smaller HDD to the new larger HDD thus wiping the original contents of the HDD.

So far so good, the larger HDD now has C: Windows 7 Ultimate; D: XP Pro; E: Windows 7 HP. Of course the boot manager only has entries for the C: and D: partition.

I think I can use bcdedit to add another entry but I am a little confused about how to do this, I've seen examples for Win 7 and XP or Vista but not for 2 copies of Win 7. Can anyone tell me what bcdedit commands I need to run? For instance I could run "bcdedit /create {} /d "Win 7 HP" but I don't know what to put inside of the {}, I think I need a new UUID but I don't know if I should be running "bcdedit /createstore" first or something else.

byronator

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

I'll answer my own question.

I've done the following in case it helps anyone else:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Win 7 HP" <-- this command creates a new UUID
bcdedit /set {new UUID} device partition=E:
bcdedit /set {new UUID} osdevice partition=E: <-- not sure if this one was necessary

I am able to boot into the Win 7 Home Premium after doing this, although it gives a few errors just after login (see below). Not sure if this is a natural consequence of doing a partition copy the way I did, because EASUS Partition Manager messed something up, or because what I did above with bcdedit is not quite right.

It creates me a temporary profile when I login and gives these 2 errors:
"The ordinal 379 could not be found in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll"
"The ordinal 378 could not be found in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll"
From googling these it may have something to do with IE 9.