Question Add custom shortcut to Windows 10 Start Menu

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
How can I add a shortcut with parameters to Windows 10 start menu?

My Firefox shortcut has been added to Windows 10 Start Menu. I have created another shortcut with the parameters "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote and have named that Firefox Independent Session. How can I get this shortcut added to the Win 10 Start Menu?

Right clicking on the new shortcut only gives me the option to UNpin it from the start menu, as I'm assuming Windows 10 thinks it's the same shortcut that's already there.

Any thoughts on this?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, you have to give the shortcut a different name. Such as Firefox No Remote.

Another method:

Press Win+R to open the Run dialog. In the run dialog, type in:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
and press OK.

This will open a folder with a portion of your start menu in it. Right click on the Desktop to create a new shortcut with the parameters you need. It will need a different name. Move the new shortcut to the folder. You might need to reboot before it shows up (I didn't have too though).

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
Hey thanks for thinking about it anyway. Turns out that didn't accomplish what I wanted to - it wasn't added as a tile to the start menu, even though it had a different name. However, I changed the original shortcut to include the same parameters (so in essence both shortcuts are identical, except one has a different name). Lo and behold, the shortcut with the changed name appears as a tile on the start menu.

So, I can't say I figured it out, but the workaround of always launching with the parameters will work.

Thanks for the assist.

• Click <Start>, scroll down to Fireforx, Right-click, More, Open File Location. This will open the abovementioned folder.
  • Copy Firefox shortcut, rename it as you wish, right-click on the shortcut, Properties, make changes you want.
or drag your shortcut from the desktop here.