[SOLVED] Add fan as top exhaust, or as pull on cooler?

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
My machine has:

Ryzen 3950X
Noctua U14S cooler (fan in push configuration blowing towards back of case)
Asus B550 TUF Motherboard
Meshify C Case
Passive GT 1030 GPU
2 stock Fractal Design fans in the default configuration (i.e. 1 rear exhaust, 1 in front centre intake)

When under load for my work, the CPU's cores will be fully active. The graphics card will be idle.

I've ordered to Noctua NF14 PWM fans to add to the case.

One NF14 will go in the top front as intake, blowing directly at the U14S cooler.

I'm unsure whether the 2nd NF14 should either
- top rear exhaust
- clipped onto the back of the U14S, so that it is in push/pull configuration.

Which option will be better?

Solution
Once you have two 140mm front intakes, the cooling air will go through your case, taking component heat with it.
I think that will work best with the single 120mm rear exhaust mainly to direct the airflow through the cooler.
A top exhaust will tend to divert airflow out the top and not through the cpu cooler.
I doubt any more will do anything but add noise.
Since you have the parts, you have the ability to experiment

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Really won't know what works best without individual testing; it's going to vary based on your chassis and hardware configuration.
It took some time, but for my particular chassis and hardware setup, the optimal fan config has no chassis exhaust fans.

If exploring is too much trouble, just stick to the general recommendation of front to back, bottom to top - it's the jack of all trades for PC cooling, and you can't go wrong with it.

Reactions: barnyard80
Once you have two 140mm front intakes, the cooling air will go through your case, taking component heat with it.
I think that will work best with the single 120mm rear exhaust mainly to direct the airflow through the cooler.
A top exhaust will tend to divert airflow out the top and not through the cpu cooler.
I doubt any more will do anything but add noise.
Since you have the parts, you have the ability to experiment

Solution