Add memory or upgrade ???

isobig

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
I currently have a i5-2500K system with 8GB of RAM. I have recently been thinking of adding another 8GB ($40) but wondering if the money is better spent towards upgrading to a Skylake platform (i5-6600) . This would involve a MB, CPU, and 16GB RAM... about $500 total.

Any thoughts / advice is apprectiated! Thanks!

Solution
Even with the same exact model of DRAM, there's no guarantees a new set will play with the old, people try all the time and come here for help - it's a 50/50 crapshoot. Regardless, if even considering upgrading to Skylake, I'd say go for it. If anything happens to your current rig, getting replacement mobo/CPU is getting harder and harder

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you're going to upgrade the whole platform i.e. change socket in the near future is the money better spend there.

Adding ram is getting more difficult so you really would want to buy a new 2x8 set and that would just cost too much imo,especially when thinking of upgrading.Soemthing to read about upgrading ram,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p4
Look at "Just Add More DRAM".

isobig

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Thanks for your input Vic. Not sure what the reason is for you saying adding ram is getting more difficult. I would be purchasing the same 8gb (2x4gb) set that is currently in the system, same brand and ratings. Set is well stocked at newegg so no problem with availability. I see no reason to remove the 2x4 set that is installed and replace it with a 2x8 set as you mentioned.... unless I am missing something. If I am please explain.

Anyway... my concern was if upgrading to the new CPU would give me a significant performance increase (mostly games) or just a mild increase. I have read in various forums that most ppl are saying there is no big reason to upgrade from the 2500K in terms of performance.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Even with the same exact model of DRAM, there's no guarantees a new set will play with the old, people try all the time and come here for help - it's a 50/50 crapshoot. Regardless, if even considering upgrading to Skylake, I'd say go for it. If anything happens to your current rig, getting replacement mobo/CPU is getting harder and harder

Solution

isobig

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Thanks for the advice!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I wasn't saying that the 2500K is a bad cpu,it isn't and overclocked will it still perform well,but the newer cpu's are better.

For most current uses,gaming i think here,will 8gb still suffice.So if wanting to invest would keeping the money for now and putting it in a newer system,when having the funds for it,be a better option.
You don't need to upgrade right now,you can wait untill AMD comes with "Zen" later this year and see what that does.

TRENDING THREADS