[SOLVED] Add Mirror option is grayed out (Windows 10)

Dec 23, 2018
Quick synopsis of the problem: I'm trying to mirror my data HDD to an extra HDD.

My setup: I currently have 3 storage devices in my computer. A 1 TB SSD which I have the OS loaded to. I have two 1TB HDD attached as extra storage. Currently, just one of the hard drives has data (we'll refer to as DATA drive), and the other one is empty and awaiting a mirror (we'll refer to as EMPTY drive). My OS is Windows 10 Pro. I currently have the data backed up to a 1 TB external just in case something in the process goes awry, but of course the preference is to not have to wipe the current

My situation: At one point in time, they were mirrored, but something happened a few months ago and now they aren't. I've been trying to figure out how to create the mirror again. Pretty much all the research I've done is to go to disk management, right click on the drive I want to mirror, and click "Add Mirror". But the "Add Mirror" option is grayed out.

What I've tried so far: I've tried so many things at this point. I've been trying to make both drives as similar as possible. I've tried making the empty drive MBR instead of GPT, and dynamic instead of basic. The data drive is currently a Dynamic MBR drive. I've tried leaving the empty drive unallocated and I've tried creating a simple volume with it (Data drive is also a simple volume). Right clicking on the Empty drive shows a grayed out option "New Mirrored Volume" which is also grayed out. I would like to note that "New Spanned Volume", New Striped Volume" and "New RAID-5 Volume" are also all grayed out.

I've been reading that it's potentially an issue with space. While they both can hold 931.51 GB of space, I see that the Data drive has a 1,000,202,039,296 byte capacity, while the Empty drive has a 1,000,200,990,720 byte capacity. I've read about the potential necessity to shrink the Data drive before continuing, but as I'm not to familiar on what that does, I am afraid to try that without understanding it better, so I decided now is that time to ask for help.

Please help me figure this out. I want to learn from this experience, so I was really trying to solve it on my own, but I'm at the point where I'm going down rabbit holes without truly understanding them. Thanks for the help, and let me know what other information you need from me.

Note: Add Mirror option is greyed out (Windows 10). I wanted to put this in here with the word spelled as "grey" as well, instead of "gray," so that if we are able to find a solution, other people with this problem will more easily be able to find the solution. I noticed while googling the problem, that the spelling produced slightly different results.

Solution
No, No, No. Do not setup a RAID with an external drive. If you want to do backups to that drive, do that, but do not set it up as a RAID 1. If you want to back up the full drive to that, do a clone with a program like Macrium Reflect or create a disk image of the drive on that same drive. Setting up a mirror/RAID setup on an external removable drive is just a bad idea.
No, No, No. Do not setup a RAID with an external drive. If you want to do backups to that drive, do that, but do not set it up as a RAID 1. If you want to back up the full drive to that, do a clone with a program like Macrium Reflect or create a disk image of the drive on that same drive. Setting up a mirror/RAID setup on an external removable drive is just a bad idea.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS