[SOLVED] Add more HDD to my server

gimpchop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Hi I looking at buying a proliant ml330 server for my open media vault project
. And would like to add another 4 HDD but don't know what I need to achieve this the board can take up to 5 HDD I would like the choice to add another 4. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Solution
The manual states up to 8 1TB drives can ordered with one. Not sure if that is the result of an addin card or a different board configuration. Seems to suggest there is physical space for 8 drives.

If you don't have enough SATA or SAS ports in the system, you need another disk controller.

And you will have to make certain you have enough power connectors for all the drives. Adapters are generally frowned upon, particularly for SATA drives. Hard to find good quality adapters.

There are plenty of other solutions out there for a large number of disks. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. These days I would think an entry level Ryzen or even Ryzen Pro CPU with a board with a few PCIe disk controllers installed might be worth it...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The manual states up to 8 1TB drives can ordered with one. Not sure if that is the result of an addin card or a different board configuration. Seems to suggest there is physical space for 8 drives.

If you don't have enough SATA or SAS ports in the system, you need another disk controller.

And you will have to make certain you have enough power connectors for all the drives. Adapters are generally frowned upon, particularly for SATA drives. Hard to find good quality adapters.

There are plenty of other solutions out there for a large number of disks. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. These days I would think an entry level Ryzen or even Ryzen Pro CPU with a board with a few PCIe disk controllers installed might be worth it. But I am not sure what you are looking to pay for a used server.

Solution