[SOLVED] Add more RAM as Adobe software taking lot of RAM usage?

sharath_83

Distinguished
Hi there,

This new PC i brought in Feb 2020, i have G-Skill RAM DDR4 16GB X 2 (part number F4-3600C19-16GVRB), but it seems every time i do simple works on Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects using them simultaneously, the RAM usage is almost full and my work flow slows down.

Is it something to do with my RAM speed? As i check in CPU-Z under SPD tab, there it shows under Max bandwidth: DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz), so the RAM usage is only 1066 MHz out of 3600 MHz? ... Preview here: https://ibb.co/qySHJR3

Is there anything can be done to speed up my work process? Or should i get a 32GB RAM (single) for another slot?

New PC Config:
Windows 10 Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3rd Gen
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair HERO VIII
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB X 2 (32GB) 3600Mhz ----- (2 Slots has 16X2 GB RAM - Slot 2 and 4 are free)
Graphic Card:
Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB DDR5
SMPS Power Supply - Cooler Master 750W 230V
Cabinet - Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB
Monitors: Samsung 24 inch LED Dual monitor

Awaiting for a quick reply.

Have a nice day!

Solution
You are currently running the base frequency of 2133mhz (2x1066mhz). 1066mhz is the real frequency but it’s called 2133mhz because it’s DDR (Double Data Rate). The DOCP/XMP setting should put the RAM to its rated speed of 3600mhz (2x1800).

Your motherboard/cpu supports dual channel RAM and the RAM is best evenly split between the 2 channels to give maximum bandwidth. Your motherboard manual will show you which slots are which channel. It is best to run 2 dimms/sticks of RAM instead of 4 when trying to run higher speeds of 3000mhz or above. From what I read this is because 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller.

Mixing RAM bought separately is not guaranteed to work without issues. Take a look at the odd man out section...
Switch on DOCP/XMP in the BIOS to get the RAM running at the correct speed. You are loosing a lot of performance running at 2133.

Mix RAM bought separately and not from a matched is not guaranteed to work without issues. You want RAM in equal bank sizes and you have 2 banks. This allows all the RAM to run in dual channel mode which doubles the bandwidth, you want either 2 or 4 dimms. However 4 dimms is more likely to have issues running at higher speeds and you may struggle to get over 3000mhz. The best option would be selling what you have and getting a 2x32gb kit but only if you absolutely need more RAM.

sharath_83

Distinguished
Switch on DOCP/XMP in the BIOS to get the RAM running at the correct speed. You are loosing a lot of performance running at 2133.

Mix RAM bought separately and not from a matched is not guaranteed to work without issues. You want RAM in equal bank sizes and you have 2 banks. This allows all the RAM to run in dual channel mode which doubles the bandwidth, you want either 2 or 4 dimms. However 4 dimms is more likely to have issues running at higher speeds and you may struggle to get over 3000mhz. The best option would be selling what you have and getting a 2x32gb kit but only if you absolutely need more RAM.

Thank you for the quick reply, appreciate it.

I will check the BIOS settings today.

But i cannot have one single 32 GB RAM, in either of the free slot i have now, with the existing 16X2 GB RAM is it?

You are loosing a lot of performance running at 2133. - 2133 is taken from where?

However 4 dimms is more likely to have issues running at higher speeds and you may struggle to get over 3000mhz - So the RAM speed is taken from all the RAM together and not from each of the RAM, sorry if am asking a wrong question.

Last edited:
You are currently running the base frequency of 2133mhz (2x1066mhz). 1066mhz is the real frequency but it’s called 2133mhz because it’s DDR (Double Data Rate). The DOCP/XMP setting should put the RAM to its rated speed of 3600mhz (2x1800).

Your motherboard/cpu supports dual channel RAM and the RAM is best evenly split between the 2 channels to give maximum bandwidth. Your motherboard manual will show you which slots are which channel. It is best to run 2 dimms/sticks of RAM instead of 4 when trying to run higher speeds of 3000mhz or above. From what I read this is because 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller.

Mixing RAM bought separately is not guaranteed to work without issues. Take a look at the odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Solution