Question Add more sata ports

• Thread starter Deleted member 2783327
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2783327

I have an MSI X99 Xpower gaming AC motherboard used for my server.
It has 10 sata ports on board. All full with 12TB drives
I have a 2 port SATA III PCIe x2 expansion card
When I plug it in it replaces the onboard SATA 9 and 10 ports instead of add two extra ports
How do I get more than internal 10 ports?

I say "internal" because my infrastructure is all 10GBe Using external USB 3.2 enclosures I can only get 200MB transfer rates. That's assuming I can even find a 2 bay enclosure. Silverstone's TS231U-C is no longer available in Australia, and it was the only one available with 10Gbps speeds. Mediasonic have one but they are likewise not available locally.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Page 39 refers to the heat sinks for the M.2 slots.

The manual was one of the first things I checked.

Ah, ok, wrong manual. That is not the manual for my PC. Mine is E7A91v1.1 - You grabbed the X99A Gaming Titanium Motherboard manual.

Mine is a X299 XPower Gaming AC.

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Page 39 refers to the heat sinks for the M.2 slots.

The manual was one of the first things I checked.

Ah, ok, wrong manual. That is not the manual for my PC. Mine is E7A91v1.1 - You grabbed the X99A Gaming Titanium Motherboard manual.

Mine is a X299 XPower Gaming AC.
right, wrong mobo.....
following your mobo manual, sata 9/10 is linked to pcie x1 slot, you have it placed in x16 slot?

D

Deleted member 2783327

Yep. Even in PCIe3 it still takes sata ports 9 & 10.
I swapped it around with my 10G NIC. Same deal, but that's worse as the 10G stops working when I tried that :(

I've ordered a Sabrent DC-SC4B 4 bay JBOD enclosure. I'll only get 220MB transfer rate, but if I put the rarely accessed stuff there I guess I can live with it.

Seems I just can't add more ports. Maybe a chipset limitation?

D

Deleted member 2783327

pcie3 is connected to cpu, maybe its bios limitation on how many sata can be used

Dodgy sata expansion card. Bought a new one and it works but only in PCIe3 (as putting it in PCIe5 means the 10G NIC has to go in PCIe3 and it doesn't work in that slot).

I also purchased a sabrent DS-SC4B 4 day USB 3.1 Gen2 enclosure. The damn thing copies slower than USB 2.0. Connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on the motherboard.

My Silverstone TS231U-C copies consistently at 225+ MB/s. I swapped that out for the Sabrent.

Since I'm also having problems with copying files to the same PC with Server 2019 I'm starting to wonder if this is an OS issue. I am about to install Server 2016 to see if that fixes any of the speed issues.

I've contacted sabrent about the terrible speeds, we'll see what they say.