Add PCI ports/ Extend and add?. Custom Made? Possible?

RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
so here: http://www.magma.com/7slot.asp

I see that they have a PCI expansion cable. I know that I could buy the PCI backplane for cheap somewhere else. But here. Where could i buy a PCI expansion cable like that. Then i would buy the PCI backplane for maybe 50 or so somewhere else? I could also then buy my own cheap power supply and the rest. the key here is where could i get that cable..

Also. would this work? I'm hearing something about "passive" and "active" PCI and such.

And also can you think of a possible other way i could add PCI ports on the cheap. I have a good motherboard, MSI 890fx-gd70 except my graphics card seems to be a dual expansion and is kicking everything else (PCI related) out. so i need more pci space :( .

RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

i need alot more PCI ports. right now i barely have 1 because my gigantic graphics card blocks alot.

RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

i need alot more PCI ports. right now i barely have 1 because my gigantic graphics card blocks alot.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Passive backplanes are typically internal and are used with SBC's. Active backplanes are typically a) external, or b) internal with 5 or more slots. I come across these occasionally out in the field, mostly in industrial applications with several IO or servo control cards, and they work just fine. Just keep in mind, most of these are simple slot expanders. Your backplane's bandwidth is limited by the single interface card (133MB/sec). So you shouldn't take one of these, and fill it with PCI RAID cards or several video capture/tv tuners for example.

RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

so how exactly do i set this up and how are they used. I am unfamiliar with them and not sure what i should do to get this working exactly. Additionally what's the difference (and price difference) between Passive / Active backplanes? What are IO/Servo Control Cards and how do i connect the backplane to my motherboard. Would it be acceptable for me to crossfire on one of these backplanes / put internet PCI card there.

mavroxur

Distinguished

The external backplanes connect to the motherboard through a PCI expander card (a card that goes in the host computer) and a cable to carry the PCI signals to the backplane. When you say crossfire, i'm getting the impression you think this is a PCI-e backplane i'm talking about. They do make PCI-e backplanes, and PCI backplanes, but i've never seen a single external backplane that had both PCI-e and PCI on it. Active backplanes are always more expensive, due to the added logic involved in repeating the signals.

RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
where can i buy:
the PCI expander card
The Cable to carry the signals
And the cheapest backplane :p in addition can i put PCI expander cards in other PCI backplanes?

Also what is the difference between a Active and a Passive.
Can i do a GPU crossfire on a backplane.

What is the price estimate for this

mavroxur

Distinguished
1) How many slots do you need?

2) You can chain backplanes. Is it recommended? No, but it will work.

3) Active backplanes contain active switching and buffering logic, passive do not. ISA/PCI backplanes were commonly passive, and most modern busses (PCI-X and PCI-e) are usually active backplanes. Almost all external backplanes are active (for signal quality reasons)

4) You can't do SLI / Crossfire on a backplane.