[SOLVED] Add two external monitors to an All In One PC?

Dec 2, 2021
Hello All,

I am a new member and I am looking for your advise regarding the possibility of adding two external monitors to my all in one pc. My kid broke the primary monitor on my all in one so I am just left with one external monitor for now, I am hoping that I can add another external monitor so I can go back to my dual-monitor setup again.

Here is the spec of my pc:
computer: Acer All in One
Processor: i3-8130u
Memory: 8GB
Graphic: Intel UHD Graphics 620

My computer only has one HDMI out port which has already been occupied by the one external monitor I currently have and there are no other display ports available that I can use for another external display. I know there are a couple of spare USB 3.0 ports, so I am wondering if I can buy a USB 3.0 to HDMI/VGA adaptor and use that to connect another external monitor to my computer.

Has anyone tried this before? Any advise is much appreciated. I do not want to waste $50 on the USB3.0 to HDMI/VGA adaptor and then realize my computer won't support it.

TIA

Ken

Solution
Yes, a USB adapter is effectively a virtual display adapter. It will run on the CPU and use system memory.

Similarly you could also get a USB 3.0 docking station which will add many display outputs (and might be useful when you swap the PC eventually)

Also don't discount just getting a new screen for the AIO. Generally not too hard to find new LCDs for common models.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, a USB adapter is effectively a virtual display adapter. It will run on the CPU and use system memory.

Similarly you could also get a USB 3.0 docking station which will add many display outputs (and might be useful when you swap the PC eventually)

Also don't discount just getting a new screen for the AIO. Generally not too hard to find new LCDs for common models.

Solution