[SOLVED] Added 32gb of Trident Z ram. Windows wont boot

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hey guys I decided to add extra ram to my PC today and now she wont boot up. These are my specs

Ryzen 3700x
32 GB Trident Z RGB ram (3200)
2060 KO Ultra
Cooler Master 750w gold power supply
Noctua u12s, with second fan
MSI x570 Gaming Plus MB

I picked up another pack of 32 GB ram. Its the identical spec with goal being 64GB ram
32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz DIMM CAS 16 F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

It appears that the ram sticks are fully seated. When I press power everything lights up and all of the ram sticks light up as well however windows does not boot and a red light on the motherboard stays on. If the ram isn't seated properly would lights still come on? Not sure where to go from here. I suppose I was naïve and thought adding ram was relatively simple if it was an identical type of ram. What kind of checks do I need to go through to get running again?

Thanks for the assistance.

Here's a video of how it looks:
View: https://youtu.be/fc2R_-hBHTk

Last edited:
Solution
Remove the two new sticks and get your system to boot, hopefully.
When and if it boots go into your BIOS and if you have changed any settings like XMP or a CPU OC, remove them by resetting defaults. Boot windows again to be sure it will boot.
I would try the other set in place of the original set first, see if it boots.
If it does boot, and after you get back in windows and every thing is working fine then go back to BIOS and work on XMP and/or OC settings.
It is not uncommon for 4 sticks to run slower than 2. It is also not particularly unusual for it to cause the CPU OC to be lower as well.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
When and if it boots go into your BIOS and if you have changed any settings like XMP or a CPU OC, remove them by resetting defaults. Boot windows again to be sure it will boot.
If it does boot, and after you get back in windows and every thing is working fine then go back to BIOS and work on XMP and/or OC settings.
It is not uncommon for 4 sticks to run slower than 2. It is also not particularly unusual for it to cause the CPU OC to be lower as well.

Reactions: DarthBatman
Solution

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Wow okay actually I totally forgot that I did change the XMP profile on the original two. So I should probably do as you say and remove the two new sticks and reset that back to xmp 1. Didn't touch anything with CPU OC, just tinkered with accessory fan speeds.

DarthBatman

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hey man looks like the XMP profile was the problem. I turned it off and installed the new sticks and set the new sticks to XMP in bios. All running good now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Zen-Zen2 do not like 4x sticks of ram. It's an underlying architectural issue that wasn't fixed until Zen3.

4x will run fine at default 2133/2400MHz, and with Zen2 should run at 2666MHz. It's when going above those speeds that things can get a little awkward. So setting 3200MHz XMP can be an issue. It can usually be circumvented with voltage tweaks to the cpu memory controller, voltage tweaks to the ram, setting hard fclock/mclock/uclock settings, manual timing adjustments etc.

And much of that is ram dependent, whether it's dual or single Rank sticks.

Many combinations will have issues getting ram stable with 4 sticks and 2933MHz with dual Rank dimms, same applies to 3200MHz, but basically requires all 4x as single Rank.

Almost all 16Gb ram is Dual Rank (entirely different from Dual Channel), so even with manual settings, 2933MHz would be the number to shoot for, but expect that 2666MHz might be the limit.

2x sticks in A2/B2 do not have these issues.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS