Added 8GB of Ram to 4GB install and system info shows only 4GB usable

robbydobbs

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I have a Asus P7P55D-E-LX with the Corsair XMS 4GB kit 2x2GB ram installed. I upgraded my ram and added CRUCIAL 8GB 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM CL9. When I boot up my system it shows 12GB of ram but only 4GB usable. I also went back and changed the slots the ram was in I moved the crucial ram to the first two slots and took out the original Corsair I had in it and when I rebooted it still stated that there was the crucial 8GB in the computer but only 4GB usable. For some reason, I can only use 4GB of ram no matter how much is in the computer. The motherboard allows up to 16mb ram. What can I do to be able to use all the ram in the computer.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Couple of things, if a 32bit system 4GB is max, if you have a 64bit OS then the new DRAM doesn't sound like it wants to play with the old, or may simply not be compatible - with the P55 chipset would almost guess your new DRAM uses high density memory chips and aren't compatible with the mobo chipset

robbydobbs

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I went to the Crucial website and put in the make and model of my motherboard and it stated that the memory I purchased was compatible with the motherboard. When I put just the 8GB of Crucial memory in the computer by itself, it still only shows 4GB usable. I don't understand everything there is to know about memory and motherboards but I'm trying to learn. If my motherboard says it supports up to 16gb of memory, and the memory I had in there was (4GB)DDR3 1600, than why wouldn't it recognize the 8GB of DDR3 1600 regardless of the manufacturer.

robbydobbs

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
yes, but the 8GB shows 8GB installed but only 4GB usable. When I put the other 4GB in with the 8GB, it shows the 12GB installed but only 4GB usable. So it doesn't matter how much memory I put in the on the motherboard, it only shows 4GB usable.

everseeker

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018

Um How?

Never saw anything like that in MSConfig
Had not looked closely in a while (That was not it though)
Turns out, My CPU was actually REALLY faulty. It could only "see" half of the installed memory (Dual Channel... could only see one side)

Last edited: