Added a new set of RAM sticks - PC stuck in reboot loop.

katastrophy9

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hello.
I will start this off with stating that i am not a noob when it comes to computers and technology in general. I find my issue very odd. I have tried everything. I am a new member of this forum so i am not familiar with how stuff works here, so i apologize for any mistakes i make in my post. On with my problem.
My motherboard has 2 pairs of slots of different colors, 4 slots in total. I had 8GB, i bought 8GB more. The RAM i bought wasn't exactly identical, but similar enough, i would say. Both Kingston. Both 1.5V, 1333 MHz. I stuck the new RAM right into the vacant slots, tried to boot my computer and it would not boot up. Black screen. Hard drive not spinning up, BIOS not displaying. Nothing. Just restarts every 2 seconds or so. I went ahead and tried everything. I tried pairs of RAM in both slots. The old pair work in all slots, the new pair work in all slots. I tried the CMOS battery reset as well. Did not help. Here's the odd stuff i noticed while trying everything:
I tried pairing one chip of my old RAM with one chip of the new RAM, to see if they were compatible. And what do you know, they are. Everything booted up fine, i was seeing 8GB of RAM just like i should have.
During all the testing, i noticed that different combinations resulted in different reboot loop times. At one time the BIOS appeared and was frozen, at other times there was no reboot and the BIOS screen would not appear. Very unpredictable. Unusual to technology, to my experience.
Next, at the end of the day when i stopped trying all sorts of combinations, i put the new RAM away and just stuck my old RAM right where it used to be. I don't know why, maybe it was all the CMOS battery resetting, but my PC would not boot. Would be stuck in loops, sometimes just black screen like i mentioned before. I reset the battery again, did not work, i took the RAM out and re-inserted it, just countless combinations until after a few tries it booted again. If my old RAM was bad in some way, i believe it would just not work in general. All the time.
You can rest assured that i did every action correctly, i did not put the RAM in wrong or not all the way in. It was all precise.
I still have that new RAM hanging about and i really want to be able to use it. At this point i'm confused and i don't know what to do.
I have an Intel Core i7-2600 CPU, i HAVE updated my BIOS not so long ago. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V. If you need any other info, ask.
I would appreciate help.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Mixing sets is definitely a crapshoot as you've found, with 2 sets of 2 even more so, with yyour sticks might try going in with the two old in slots 1-3 and then go to BIOS and raise the DRAM voltage + 0.07 and look for the MC voltage (think it may be DDRVTT or CPUVTT (also look for possibly VCCIO) and raise it + 0.06. Save shutdown then try adding the new

katastrophy9

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Will try it. But how would you explain the new and old RAM working in 1 pair?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
As stated a crapshoot, you can take 10 sticks right off an assembly line and may only be able to make one 4stick set out of the 10. Pull two consecutive sticks and they might play they might not, that's why sticks are tested to find multiple sticks that will play to go in a particular set (i.e. 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 stick package), more on it in my article (Item 2) here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

Solution

katastrophy9

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I tried your solution, but the voltage changing did not seem to make an effect. Though it was putting the RAM in the slots you mentioned that fixed the problem. I don't quite understand it though. The pairs of RAM slots match colors, the order you advised caused a new RAM stick to be paired with an old one. Regardless, thank you so much for the help.
Will it work fine this way? Mismatching pairs? I'm still getting the DDR and maximizing the speed, yes?