Question Added HDD, now no boot

dslomer64

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
I have a WD7500BPVT "Scorpio Blue" HDD from my old Dell laptop (2011). All worked fine yesterday.

I want to install the old HDD in my new PowerSpec 1720 laptop in case there are files I overlooked when I tried to copy "everything" onto new laptop.

FYI, new laptop has Insyde BIOS.

I had to almost completely disassemble the old Dell to remove the HDD. Reassembly questionable. Didn't care yesterday. It's literally falling apart (three drops over the years; Dell makes a sturdy laptop) and incredibly slow. Might need to reassemble today, per the below.

Installation into new laptop should be simple. It's not.

I removed the screw and the bracket that was already in place where a new HDD would go. I put the screw aside and attached the bracket assembly to the HDD with its old screws.

I inserted the contacts edge of the HDD into the socket assembly on the motherboard.

#1: The HDD doesn't lay flat. It makes about a 20° angle with the motherboard. I had to apply some small force to make it lie flatter and then secured it with the screw. I'm not completely comfortable with how this went. Maybe it's normal.

#2. I snapped the case together and TRIED to reboot but it didn't happen. A weak beep and HDD noise (often loud) repeat forever. I assume that the old HDD is trying to boot. Well, I should be able to fix that in BIOS. I forcibly powered down.

I inserted a Windows 10 bootable USB drive, powered up, and hit F2. In Insyde BIOS, the boot order did not show the HDD. There is no mention of the old HDD anywhere. I moved the USB drive from position 3 to the top since Windows was not going to load as is. WD boot manager is now #2. I saved changes and exited.

#3. Boot failed as in #2. BIOS still doesn't seem to see HDD. Still can't get into Windows 10.

So I cannot get into Windows 10 as long as the HDD is in position. So I can't install a driver for it (probably don't even need to; can't find one anyway at WD.com) or troubleshoot (which rarely helps anyway) or use device manager (for what??), etc. So I removed it. New laptop works fine again.

Unless somebody can help out, I plan to reinstall the old HDD and reassemble the old Dell. If boot fails, I guess I (or the new laptop) screwed it up. Old HDD worked fine yesterday.

Installing an old HDD should work without any problem, shouldn't it? As long as BIOS "cooperates". But if I had I installed Win 10 on old laptop, making it even slower, HDD would've still worked, wouldn't it? So why not in new laptop?

So... what now?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS