[SOLVED] Added more memory but it's still slow

rowanbradley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
i just doubled the amount of RAM to 32GB in my desktop PC (a Dell XPS8700), running Windows 8.1 64-bit. This surprisingly seems to have slowed it down. Obviously I was hoping that it would speed it up. Is this a known effect? Is there anything I can do to get the maximum benefit from this extra memory? Do I have to make any configuration changes to make best use of the memory? Do I have to have a larger swap file (currently 60GB)? Or does this mean that the problem is not the amount of memory, but something else? What do you suggest I try next?

Thanks - Rowan

Solution
Have you changed anything else in the system? If not what is the service tag number for the computer, it will tell the exact specs of the system.

from a google search it looks to have:
i7 or i5 gen 4 cpu
ddr3 1600Mhz
sata 3 and mSata ( do you know if its a SSD or a normal harddrive? )

What are you doing with the system? If your looking for speed then i would install a SSD, it will make things feel snappier.
Have you changed anything else in the system? If not what is the service tag number for the computer, it will tell the exact specs of the system.

from a google search it looks to have:
i7 or i5 gen 4 cpu
ddr3 1600Mhz
sata 3 and mSata ( do you know if its a SSD or a normal harddrive? )

What are you doing with the system? If your looking for speed then i would install a SSD, it will make things feel snappier.

Solution