Added more RAM, desktop will not start at all

sthcm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
First time changing RAM at all.
Made sure that I was grounded and the power cable unplugged the entire time throughout the process.

The old RAM setup was that of 2x 256mb and 2x 512mb. The timings were 333 for the two sticks I replaced and 444 for the other two. All was working well. I replaced the 2x 256 with 2x 512, both ddr2 like the others.

I came to try out the pc and it will not start at all, no boot, no beeps,nothing. I've tried putting the old sticks back in to no avail as well as taking out the battery on the motherboard. I saw another thread where someones case fan pin had come lose but I think I've found the pin and it's not loose.

does anyone have any ideas?

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
unplug your PC from THE WALL BEFORE ATTEMPTING CHANGE THE RAM OR ANY OTHER PROCESS try flip the switch on the back of your PSU and try with only one stick of the memory at the time then remove and insert another one but one at the time.like thous we narrow which stick is faulty make sure you unplug your PC from THE WALL BEFORE ATTEMPTING CHANGE THE RAM OR ANY OTHER PROCESS

sthcm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017

To flip the switch at the back of the PSU, should it be done each time a RAM stick is replaced?

sthcm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017

you said flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
yes just one time, please do and wait a couple minutes before turn on.:)

sthcm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017

Thanks for answering. I couldn't find the make of the motherboard, only know the RAM as the PC is over 10 years old. I ended up switching out the hard drive into a better PC and all is well. Just for future reference, once I know the motherboard and the RAM what would I do with that information? Is there a website that will tell you compatibility and RAM limits for the motherboard?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS