Added new 80 Gig to 8300, seems slow...HELP

Tman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
17
0
18,510
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.

My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.

Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
TIA.

Tman
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Did you go into the BIOS and change it from OFF to AUTO? If not, it will
work, but slowly.

Tom
"Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:0gNed.306989$D%.70466@attbi_s51...
>I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.
>
> My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
> new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
> It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.
>
> Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
> TIA.
>
> Tman
>
 

Tman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
17
0
18,510
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That was it!!!!


Wow, why do they not document that ?



Thanks again...

Tman
"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:FPOdnbeyZK1ENObcRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> Did you go into the BIOS and change it from OFF to AUTO? If not, it will
> work, but slowly.
>
> Tom
> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> news:0gNed.306989$D%.70466@attbi_s51...
>>I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.
>>
>> My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
>> new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
>> It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.
>>
>> Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
>> TIA.
>>
>> Tman
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

RTFM! <G>

"Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:kDXed.242643$wV.685@attbi_s54...
> That was it!!!!
>
>
> Wow, why do they not document that ?
>
 

Tman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
17
0
18,510
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That's what I thought too, it is not in my manual....


Let me know the page on yours...


Tman
"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OFXed.442$bP2.384@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> RTFM! <G>
>
> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> news:kDXed.242643$wV.685@attbi_s54...
>> That was it!!!!
>>
>>
>> Wow, why do they not document that ?
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Off vs. Auto is a standard generic BIOS option for hard drives and CD-ROM
drives. But, yes, it would be good for it to be clearly documented so it could
be found easily... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:15:26 GMT, "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote:

>That's what I thought too, it is not in my manual....
>
>
>Let me know the page on yours...
>
>
>Tman
>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:OFXed.442$bP2.384@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>> RTFM! <G>
>>
>> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> news:kDXed.242643$wV.685@attbi_s54...
>>> That was it!!!!
>>>
>>>
>>> Wow, why do they not document that ?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The confusion is that it WORKS when it is OFF. That makes no sense!

Tom
<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:417c6774.36819183@news.charter.net...
> Off vs. Auto is a standard generic BIOS option for hard drives and CD-ROM
> drives. But, yes, it would be good for it to be clearly documented so it
> could
> be found easily... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:15:26 GMT, "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>That's what I thought too, it is not in my manual....
>>
>>
>>Let me know the page on yours...
>>
>>
>>Tman
>>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:OFXed.442$bP2.384@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>>> RTFM! <G>
>>>
>>> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> news:kDXed.242643$wV.685@attbi_s54...
>>>> That was it!!!!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Wow, why do they not document that ?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Xr-dnUXdpYnfT-HcRVn-qg@comcast.com...
> The confusion is that it WORKS when it is OFF. That makes no sense!
>
> Tom

How BIOS can initialize a drive that's "not there" (off or 'unknown') and
then Windows manages to not only see it, but utilize it - is an oddity.

I see this occasionally but not often, and usually with optical drives.

<shrug>

Stew
 

TRENDING THREADS