Question Added new CPU. Now the power breaker is tripping for the room

Nov 1, 2022
I've had this computer for some time and added a new cpu today. Went from a Ryzen 7 3700x to a Ryzen 9 5900X. Now sometimes when it boots up or when I try to launch GTAV, it trips the breaker. I've never once had an issue before the CPU was changed.

PSU was upgraded to a 1000w Corsair about 4 months ago when I changed GPUs.

My system is:
Mobo: Aorus Master 570s
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: 3080 TI FI
PSU: Corsair HX1000I
Corsair H150i elite for a cooler

Any idea why just swapping a CPU would cause the circuit breaker to trip?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
What happens if you use the old CPU?

I know that installing a CPU is not something we want to do twice a day, but it's necessary to determine if your new CPU is the culprit.

BTW does your motherboard has the right and latest Bios for your new CPU?

I haven't installed the old one back yet. But I'm testing it in another room to see if it's an issue with the house too. So far no issues but I haven't started a game.

I have not updated the bios to the most recent one because the current one says it support 5900x

Nov 1, 2022
Update: tried it in a new room on a different circuit. No issues on anything and I tried to stress it. So it's most likely an issue with the house. Not the computer.

Reactions: Nathkrul
Nov 1, 2022
Your Computer is sharing a circuit with other things on the same breaker most likely, By itself it would not trip the breaker.

It's a dedicated game room. The only things plugged in are the computer and 2 monitors. I tried it with just one monitor and it still trips the breaker.

Latest posts