Added new LAN cards/No Internet access on one computer.

THUser1

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I have 3 computers wired to a Netgear R6300. Two of those computers (both running XP SP 3) I added new LAN Gigabit Cards (Tenda TEL9901G) . One recognized the card right away and had no issue connecting to the Internet (using this computer now). The other shows a 1.0 Gbps connection but I can not get any web pages to come up. I can access other computers and devices on the network without an issue on the computer that doesn't connect to the Internet.

If I type in the web address it says "Server Not Found." If I type in the IP address it will come up with the name of the site in the address bar but it still says "Server Not Found."

I've tried several times to unplug the router and modem (Motorola Surfboard) and restart everything but the problem was still there. Also, I tried other Ethernet cables and no change. The LAN card drivers are up to date but I don't think the card is the issue since I swapped the new cards (to see if the card was the problem) and it does show a 1.0 Gbps connection. Also, tried uninstall/reinstall, disable/enable the card many times.

I didn't change any setting in the router after installing the cards.

This is confusing since two of the three wired computers connect without an issue.

Here is the ipconfig output:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GATEWAY

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter LAC 13 Ethernet On Back:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-3A-35-D8-E4-76

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.111

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ca3a:35ff:fed8:e476%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:06:25 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:06:25 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Here is the ipconfig output for the working computer with same LAN card:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HP2

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-76-1A-16-A3

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-3A-35-D8-CD-1E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.112

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:11:46 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:11:46 PM

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

ubobill

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Have you tried reconnecting a network cable and seeing if you have the updated drivers for your wireless card?

You can just go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click your network adapter and update drivers.

THUser1

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
The drivers are the newest available.

As stated the HP is the working computer.

When I first installed the card on the Gateway, I was able to get web pages to come up but it wouldn't work for long.

That's when I tried switching the cards because I knew the one in the HP worked.

After doing that it didn't change anything. The card that I thought might be damaged worked in the HP just like the first one I installed. So, I'm sure it's not a hardware problem...at least with the LAN card.

It seems it's a DNS issue becasue of theresults of the ipconfig.

What does the: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
mean?

THUser1

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
That didn't change anything.

Something else I tried was tethering my cell phone by usb and I still can not load any web pages.

Also, I tried uninstalling the new Gigabit card and going back to the old 10/100 and that didn't even work.

I made sure it was enabled and I still get the "Server not found" when loading a web page.

I must have tried every possible solution I could find on line and nothing has worked. I have called Netgear and my ISP and none of them have been able to help.

It went from working fine on Sunday then after I installed the new card on Monday that when it went downhill.

I don't understand why I had no problem installing it on my other computer and it's connected to the same router. This is the computer I am posting from.

Maybe the card isn't compatible (it does have XP drivers) with the computer but something happened causing the old Ethernet connection not to work now either. Though, I can still access other computers and files using the new card.

I will have to return this card and upgrade to a better one and see what happens.

THUser1

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
The Internet was working tonight for a couple hours. I had tried so many "fixes" I found online, I'm not which one worked.

I remembered I had a Hiren's Boot CD and it had some Network programs on it. I tried the "Internet Repair" option and ran that. Also, after that I unplugged the router and modem (again!) and waited about 30 minutes before plugging in again. After everything came back on, I still could not access the Internet. The LAC wasn't started and it wouldn't allow me to start it because it was trying to renew the IP address. I gave up for a while and was doing some more research online (this computer) and after maybe 30 minutes a pop up from my Network Manager showed that the other computer came online. I looked over and it loaded a web page! I couldn't believe it after four days it was working again...so I thought.

For the next two hours it was working fine. I had a problem with a program I was trying to open; it would cause the computer to crash so I must have had the computer restart about five times. Each time it restarted I was sure I would lose my Internet access again. It came back but after the last restart I lost the Internet connection...AGAIN!!!

I am now back to where I started and am trying to recreate the steps I did to get it working. Like I said, I tried so many things I can't be sure what the solution was. Maybe it wasn't even a solution since it stopped working again.

Now I am seriously thinking about ditching that computer and get a replacement. It's old but it has done what I needed it to up until I installed the Ethernet card. I'd like to keep it but this is just crazy spending 8-10 hours a day trying to get it back to where it was four days ago.