Question Added new RAM, existing one died

Dec 28, 2019
Have a 1x Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 ram for about 5 years with no problems.
So, bought a new one, (exact same model as the one i have)
Don't need them to work with dual mode, just more ram.

So, i put the new ram the other slot (have only 2 slots so)
When i turned the PC on, it does 3 beeps and restarts, which means something's wrong with the ram.

Okay, I removed the new RAM, leaving the pc as it was before.
Turned PC on, and it still beeps.
So, what the heck, putting a new ram just killed my old one. The new memory works though, and im practically in the same position before i decided to upgrade lel, minus the money i just seemingly wasted.

Read some threads that suggested resetting bios, well that didn't do anything.
Well, does this normally happen? Is it really dead?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Was the system powered on (or connected to live power) when you installed the memory? Are you certain you have the memory fully inserted into the slots (locked into place)? Have you tried them both, individually?

Also, make sure there is no debris in the second slot (from where you didn't use for so long.

Dec 28, 2019
Was the system powered on (or connected to live power) when you installed the memory? Are you certain you have the memory fully inserted into the slots (locked into place)? Have you tried them both, individually?

Also, make sure there is no debris in the second slot (from where you didn't use for so long.
No it was off, even made sure to drain all the electricity by holding the power button (you can see fans moving a bit).
It was inserted properly.

Well here's exactly what happened:
  • pc works
  • put new ram in other slot
  • pc doesnt work
  • remove new ram (that leaves old ram only)
  • pc doesnt work still
  • replace old ram with new ram
  • pc works
i tested on all two slots, it's from the ram apparently

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sorry for your loss. Must have been a short created, inadvertently, at some point. Most memory carries a lifetime warranty, you should be able to exchange with Corsair.

Dec 28, 2019
Sorry for your loss. Must have been a short created, inadvertently, at some point. Most memory carries a lifetime warranty, you should be able to exchange with Corsair.

lol yea. well ive made sure to handle everything without static electricity and etc. Tbh smells like planned obsolescence, so the warranty is likely to help

thanks for your time))

Dec 28, 2019
Alright I sent it to the store and after some testing they said its fine. They returned it to me, and when i put it on the pc again it now works. :spamafote:
Maybe it was some bios setting or something.

lynx1021

Distinguished
You have to remember DDR3 ram runs at 1.5 volts and it doesn't take much to interrupt that with a bad connection. The contacts probably needed cleaning. The stor probably cleaned them. That is why it helps to reinsert the ram several times if you are having issues or use a special cleaner that won't hurt plastic.

Reactions: DarkReader