[SOLVED] Added new ram that wouldn’t boot with XMP enabled, now it won’t boot at all

Sep 15, 2021
Ryzen 7 5800x
RTX 2060
X470 MSI GAMING PLUS MAX
4x16g Corsair vengeance Pro 3200mhz

I had just bought another 2 sticks of ram to upgrade my pc to 64 gigs. I noticed that my PC would boot fine until I enabled XMP, then my PC would only make it to a black screen and stay there.

Im pretty new to this stuff, but I found online that I might need to clear my CMOS. My motherboard has a clear CMOS button that I used (according to the manual.) Now my pc automatically goes into bios when I turn it on, and returns to the bios when I exit the bios.

I have a windows USB that I tried to do a startup recovery from, but it couldn’t for some reason.

Like I said I’m pretty new, so if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Solution
remove the new set of RAM.
keep only the original known functioning set in DIMM slots A_2 & B_2.
enter BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults.

exit and see if it will boot normally again.
if so; return the new set.

if for some reason you actually need 32GB of RAM,
purchase an actual 32GB set.
and do not mix & match packaged sets even if they are the exact same make & model.

and do not mix & match packaged sets even if they are the exact same make & model.

Reactions: Fwun
Solution
Sep 15, 2021

It still won’t boot/automatically opens bios with the old RAM. I feel like it has to do with my CMOS clear because I could still boot to windows before that.

before I cleared my CMOS, I tested each set of RAM sticks on their own so I know they work.

Sep 15, 2021
Yes, when I exit the bios it just automatically returns to the bios without me hitting the delete key. Is it possible I somehow messed up the CMOS clear?

Is it possible I somehow messed up the CMOS clear?
i don't see how you could.
all this does is reset BIOS settings to factory defaults.
maybe if you were fiddling with power buttons as it was resetting but i doubt that would happen.

try a hard shutdown and power dispersal.
with the system turned off,
switch the power supply on/off switch to "off" position,
hold down the case power button for a few seconds.

power back on and spam the F8 key the second you do.
see if you can get into the Boot Manager this way.

Reactions: Fwun and Why_Me
Sep 15, 2021
i don't see how you could.
all this does is reset BIOS settings to factory defaults.
maybe if you were fiddling with power buttons as it was resetting but i doubt that would happen.

try a hard shutdown and power dispersal.
with the system turned off,
switch the power supply on/off switch to "off" position,
hold down the case power button for a few seconds.

power back on and spam the F8 key the second you do.
see if you can get into the Boot Manager this way.
Alright I think I’m starting to see the problem. The only option I have in boot manager is Enter Setup. I have my OS on an m.2, but I haven’t physically touched it since I installed it a year ago. The m.2 still shows up in bios

why wouldn’t my boot device be showing? When I put in my windows USB it gives me the option to boot to that.

i've seen it happen many times with every iteration of Windows since 95.
Windows Boot Manager or other data on other system partitions become corrupted and it leads to this type of hassle.
usually it is only corrected, in my experience anyway, by performing a fresh install of the OS.

but getting drives detected can sometimes also be an issue.
i would try disconnecting all drives but the main OS drive.
then try going through:

if your fresh install goes through and is booting;
connect any other drives and then delete all other system partitions that may still be located on those other drives.
this will usually lead to issues later if there are old system partitions left on those other devices.

Reactions: Fwun