[SOLVED] added new ryzen 3 1200 into my system , no post on monitor or keyboard/mouse

Jul 6, 2021
so i upgraded my old pre built pc by adding a new gpu , mobo , psu , ram and cpu. all the other stuff works fine with my old cpu but i bent a couple pins on that . now when i add my new ryzen 3 1200 no post what so ever though all fans turn on. i’ve tried clearing cmos , my msi a320m a pro is up to date at the latest version and all cables are connected properly, reseated ram , re seated the cpu and nothing at all . cpu has proper contact with the cpu cooler.

psu - thermal take litepower 450 w
cpu- ryzen 3 1200
gpu- gtx 1060 6gb
ram - 2x8gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz
mobo - msi a320m a pro at latest bios update

Last edited:
Solution
well i my old mobo was a gigabyte a320 s2h upgraded to an msi a320m a pro , i used to use the a89600 intergrated graphics until i got the gtx 1060 , psu is a thermal take litepower 450w

So, then you didn't upgrade the PSU, then? The PSU's very poor quality, but that's more of a mid and long-term problem then a right-now problem.

Do you still have the old motherboard? Not sure why you upgraded from one entry-level A320 motherboard to another, but at least it gives you an opportunity to test parts. Set up the old parts outside a case and try the Ryzen 3 1200 in it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have questions.

This is in essence a new system which is inside the prebuild case?

I was going to ask what rgd just asked...

What was the prior system CPU and how are you making a determination that "everything works with the old CPU" that is damaged with bent pins?

How did you update the BIOS on the new mobo? This likely plays into the answer for the above question.

Did you check that RAM against the mobo QVL?

Where did you source the R3 1200? Was it new? Do you have any recourse as far as return/refund?

Your cpu may be too old. IE I’m running a 3600 in my asrock b350 board. But if I recall, once you updated past a certain bios version, I don’t think you were supposed to use the older ryzen cpus in it. Seems like there was something to do with the amount of memory available in the chips on the board that it would only support certain cpus at a time.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your cpu may be too old. IE I’m running a 3600 in my asrock b350 board. But if I recall, once you updated past a certain bios version, I don’t think you were supposed to use the older ryzen cpus in it. Seems like there was something to do with the amount of memory available in the chips on the board that it would only support certain cpus at a time.

Actually a good thought, as I have run across this with motherboard BIOS before as well in regard to Ryzen. I did not notice any notes on the manufacturers support page for the BIOS indicating or suggesting not to use (older) CPU for the newer BIOS. As a for instance, my X370 does specify those warnings. This 'might' be the case though....

Jul 6, 2021
I have questions.

This is in essence a new system which is inside the prebuild case?

I was going to ask what rgd just asked...

What was the prior system CPU and how are you making a determination that "everything works with the old CPU" that is damaged with bent pins?

How did you update the BIOS on the new mobo? This likely plays into the answer for the above question.

Did you check that RAM against the mobo QVL?

Where did you source the R3 1200? Was it new? Do you have any recourse as far as return/refund?
i only recently bent the pins on my old cpu , it was an a8 9600 and i was planning to upgrade anyway so i updated the bios before the bent pins

Jul 6, 2021
i’ve checked and the cpu is compatible with the latest bios update

Jul 6, 2021
You said you upgraded your "gpu , mobo , psu , ram and cpu." You're having a problem with this upgrade. If you want to maximize your chances of us being able to solve your issue, you need to provide complete information.
well i my old mobo was a gigabyte a320 s2h upgraded to an msi a320m a pro , i used to use the a89600 intergrated graphics until i got the gtx 1060 , psu is a thermal take litepower 450w

DSzymborski

Titan

So, then you didn't upgrade the PSU, then? The PSU's very poor quality, but that's more of a mid and long-term problem then a right-now problem.

Do you still have the old motherboard? Not sure why you upgraded from one entry-level A320 motherboard to another, but at least it gives you an opportunity to test parts. Set up the old parts outside a case and try the Ryzen 3 1200 in it.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

To be fair, no it doesn't. Every compatible CPU on the list is 7C51v10. That was part of what was brought up by ohio above. Most manufacturers will have notes in regard to the BIOS being updated to allow "x" and the notes for this mobo have nothing about CPU generations.
We can make assumptions that if the a8 9600 worked in it, then...

My thoughts lie with either a bad CPU, and it's just a guess, or along the lines of some manner of damage related to the bent pins, but admittedly and going on a limb of my own process in regard to it.

Jul 6, 2021

just tried this still nothing

Jul 6, 2021
MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

To be fair, no it doesn't. Every compatible CPU on the list is 7C51v10. That was part of what was brought up by ohio above. Most manufacturers will have notes in regard to the BIOS being updated to allow "x" and the notes for this mobo have nothing about CPU generations.
We can make assumptions that if the a8 9600 worked in it, then...

My thoughts lie with either a bad CPU, and it's just a guess, or along the lines of some manner of damage related to the bent pins, but admittedly and going on a limb of my own process in regard to it.
i very much doubt it’s the cpu, i tried my friends r5 1600 and was having the same problem so i upgraded the board to if it will help but it didnt

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
i very much doubt it’s the cpu, i tried my friends r5 1600 and was having the same problem so i upgraded the board to if it will help but it didnt

What was the prebuilt?

Did you check to see if the motherboard in that build was actually capable of utilizing 'other' CPU?

It is within possibility that (if it wasn't) and you put another CPU it wasn't designed for in it, could have caused the damage then.

Jul 6, 2021
What was the prebuilt?

Did you check to see if the motherboard in that build was actually capable of utilizing 'other' CPU?

It is within possibility that (if it wasn't) and you put another CPU it wasn't designed for in it, could have caused the damage then.
everything is supported , my new motherboard is even ryzen 3000 series ready out the box so

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
everything is supported , my new motherboard is even ryzen 3000 series ready out the box so

I didn't ask about the new motherboard. You addressed what that was in the first post.

I understand that it may not seem to make a lot of sense with the questions asked, but there is a point to it and your avoidance of answering doesn't make it easier to make educated response.

I ask again. What was the prebuild?

I can tell you on my system, here's the warning for the latest bios versions, I've got an ASRock AB350 Pro 4

"*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system. "

In other words, I take that to mean if it's updated for the 3000 series, you should not try to use an older cpu.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Did you breadboard? Really take the necessary parts out of the case and test on something non conductive like the box the motherboard came in.Or maybe post a picture of the motherboard in the case (detailed) so we can see if something isn't connected right.
Necessary parts, psu+motherboard+cpu+single stick of ram.

Jul 6, 2021
Turns out it’s the power supply . i tried taking it out and i got my mouse and keyboard to light up . probably gonna have to upgrade to 500w or more and it is in the name tbh litepower