Added RAM decreased performance

Spinny99

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hello. I had Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866mhz installed to my Maximus VI Hero with a i7 4770k. I recently bought the same exact RAM (same speed and timings and size) and installed to make 32GB's. Ever since I installed it, I've seen a slight decrease in performance on my PC. It freezes fairly often and crashed more often when benchmarking than it used to, which could be my new GPU (780ti DirectCU II) that I installed yesterday. Not sure what is the issue. I checked BIOS and made sure the RAM was running at 1866 and it is.

Specs:
i7 4770k
Maximus VI Hero
780ti DirectCU II
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x8 @ 1866mhz
AX860i PSU
x3 WD Caviar Black 1TB
x1 HyperX Besat 128GB SSD
x1 Samsung 840 120GB SSD (OS Drive)
Corsair H100i

Run Memtest86+ or another memory test utility. Also run CPU stress tests to check if the CPU is still stable with the extra memory; the CPU can't always overclock as much when you install more memory sticks (which stresses the integrated memory controller more).

" It freezes fairly often and crashed more often when benchmarking than it used to"

more often that it used to........ your pc shouldn't crash at all when benchmarking... I'd start by making sure to have zero crashes with your starting hardware, once you confirm 100% stability with old hardware then add the new one (the extra ram and GPU) and check again for stability.

Spinny99

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Thanks for the replies. What I meant by Freezing was 3DMark crashes more easily with higher GPU clocks. It isn't a hardware issue. As for a CPU and Mem Stress Test, can you guys link me to some good ones for Win7 64bit?

Thx!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Have a feeling the DRAM is primary (hopefully , only problem) it not a good idea to mix set of DRAM, even of the same exact model. So what the model # of the DRAM and do you have the latest BIOS? What timings are the sticks running at and what voltage (can find those using the free utility program CPU-Z (can also get the DRAM model # there - look in the SPD tab at Part # - that should be the DRAM model number) then look in the memory tab for true freq and the base timings the sticks are running at - one other thing, look in the BIOS under the DRAM area at the advanced timing and find out what the tRFC is at

TRENDING THREADS