MSI MPG Gaming Edge Wifi X570
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming X
16Gb (2 x 8) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
512Gb WD SN500 M.2 drive
256Gb Sabrent Rocket M.2
2Tb Toshiba P300 HDD
Corsair RM850 PSU
Thermaltake View 32TG case

So yesterday I decided to add another 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (I can't afford a 32Gb kit and already had 16Gb.
After booting it all seemed fine. Until I was playing Wildlands and the BSOD hit.
Restarted and it BSOD again.
Ran Memtest86 and after 6 hours I had 6 errors spread across runs 2, 3 and 4. All test 8 and 9.

I took the old RAM out and left the new in and tested again. No errors after 3.5 hours.

I tool the new RAM out and put the old back in and retested, no errors after 3.5 hours.

I put all back in this morning and after the first pass already I have an error at test 8 again.
I am at a loss for how this could be, faulty Mobo?

Solution
So I got the extra 16GB because I am working from home now and use my PC for that as well as gaming. I have to run and manipulate very large data files and it was really running slow with the 16GB with multiple Chrome tabs and VPNs running as well as the systems running on the VPNs

I think I might just need to suck up the cost and get the 32GB kit
If you are at all interested in overclocking your ram, there are Samsung B-die 2x16GB kits for a bit more than other kits. 2x16GB runs better than 4x8GB on Ryzen platforms and the speed limitations of four modules is not as bad. You can usually run 2x16GB with higher speeds and better timings than 4x8GB.

Personally, if I needed it for work, I would choose a slower speed kit (3200...
Hi all,

First up system spec (before change)

Ryzen 5 3600X
MSI MPG Gaming Edge Wifi X570
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming X
16Gb (2 x 8) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
512Gb WD SN500 M.2 drive
256Gb Sabrent Rocket M.2
2Tb Toshiba P300 HDD
Corsair RM850 PSU
Thermaltake View 32TG case

So yesterday I decided to add another 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (I can't afford a 32Gb kit and already had 16Gb.
After booting it all seemed fine. Until I was playing Wildlands and the BSOD hit.
Restarted and it BSOD again.
Ran Memtest86 and after 6 hours I had 6 errors spread across runs 2, 3 and 4. All test 8 and 9.

I took the old RAM out and left the new in and tested again. No errors after 3.5 hours.

I tool the new RAM out and put the old back in and retested, no errors after 3.5 hours.

I put all back in this morning and after the first pass already I have an error at test 8 again.
I am at a loss for how this could be, faulty Mobo?
Do you have them in right slots ?

Mixing RAM kits is not guaranteed to work without issues even if you use the same make and model. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits where all sticks are guaranteed to work with each other.

You can try increasing the DRAM voltage, Id recommend not going over 1.450v. Also try lower speeds (MHz) and/or lower timings.

Edit: Also when running 4 dimms/sticks you are more likely to run into issues running higher speeds.

Last edited:

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Mixing RAM kits is not guaranteed to work without issues even if you use the same make and model. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits where all sticks are guaranteed to work with each other.

You can try increasing the DRAM voltage, Id recommend not going over 1.450v. Also try lower speeds (MHz) and/or lower timings.

Edit: Also when running 4 dimms/sticks you are more likely to run into issues running higher speeds.

Thanks I will give it a go. As I said, I can't afford the kit price just now but might just return the new RAM and stick with 16GB just now.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So, hopefully without jinxing it, I think I have it stable at 3200MHz with 1.4v (up frpm 1.36v). Its on test 9 of pass 4 in memtest86 with no errors yet.
Just could not get stability at 3600MHz, no matter the voltage (up to 1.44v).

Is it worth pushing it to 3400MHz and retesting or is the performmance gain negligible from 3200Mhz?

So, hopefully without jinxing it, I think I have it stable at 3200MHz with 1.4v (up frpm 1.36v). Its on test 9 of pass 4 in memtest86 with no errors yet.
Just could not get stability at 3600MHz, no matter the voltage (up to 1.44v).

Is it worth pushing it to 3400MHz and retesting or is the performmance gain negligible from 3200Mhz?
Nobody asked you want the specs of the memory kits are and what models. Mixing different kits and running four modules can work, but using XMP will likely fail to run stable. You are better off using looser timings if you can't get the rated speed and timings of both kits stable at 1.35-1.4v.

It may still be possible for your ram to run 3600, but because you are running four modules on Ryzen 3000, you would have to run much looser timings. You are more likely to reach 3333-3466 if one or both of the kits is low quality (CL18-CL22 timings). If your memory kits are 3600 CL18, I would try 3466 at the rated specs of the kit with looser timings if they are different.

If you can't get 3466 to work, try running 3200 at CL16-18-18-36. That speed and timings would give you the same or nearly the same performance as 3600 at CL18-22-22-42. For the games that do run faster at 3600, it would be around a 4-9fps difference or 3-8%.

Reactions: greigm78

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Nobody asked you want the specs of the memory kits are and what models. Mixing different kits and running four modules can work, but using XMP will likely fail to run stable. You are better off using looser timings if you can't get the rated speed and timings of both kits stable at 1.35-1.4v.

It may still be possible for your ram to run 3600, but because you are running four modules on Ryzen 3000, you would have to run much looser timings. You are more likely to reach 3333-3466 if one or both of the kits is low quality (CL18-CL22 timings). If your memory kits are 3600 CL18, I would try 3466 at the rated specs of the kit with looser timings if they are different.

If you can't get 3466 to work, try running 3200 at CL16-18-18-36. That speed and timings would give you the same or nearly the same performance as 3600 at CL18-22-22-42. For the games that do run faster at 3600, it would be around a 4-9fps difference or 3-8%.

Thanks for this. I tried 3466 and it errored from test 1. Now trying tighter timings at 3200. It is CL18 modules so maybe the quality just isn't there.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018

So this appears to ring very true here. I ran Thaiphoon Burner and the original 2 x 8 sticks are Samsung B Die and the newest two are Micron E Die despite both having the same make and model number.

Looks like I will send it back and wait to get a matched kit.

I have it stable at 3333MHz at 1.4v but the timings remain at CL18. It's frustrating that the manufacturers can do this. But it is what it is I guess.
They have the same make and model number, but very probably different Revision number. That is how Corsair differentiates the sticks in this situation.
I'm not sure if the Rev. number is printed on Corsair's DDR4 packages. Never used them

I have it stable at 3333MHz at 1.4v but the timings remain at CL18. It's frustrating that the manufacturers can do this. But it is what it is I guess.
Honestly, getting 3333 stable with four modules from different kits is still good. Make sure you run a full memtest86 default four test pass to make sure it's stable; it will likely take more than 12 hours for the test to finish. There are timing tweak procedures for getting ram to run as best as it can on Ryzen, but it can take a long time and may only get you 6-12fps between 3200-3600. I would put a little effort into trying to lower the voltage though.

If you don't actually need the new ram, I would return it and get a refund. If you think you need 32GB, get a different kit that is actually Samsung B-die so you have a better chance of running 3333 at 1.35-1.37v or higher speed. This B-die finder should help you find a kit. https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Honestly, getting 3333 stable with four modules from different kits is still good. Make sure you run a full memtest86 default four test pass to make sure it's stable; it will likely take more than 12 hours for the test to finish. There are timing tweak procedures for getting ram to run as best as it can on Ryzen, but it can take a long time and may only get you 6-12fps between 3200-3600. I would put a little effort into trying to lower the voltage though.

If you don't actually need the new ram, I would return it and get a refund. If you think you need 32GB, get a different kit that is actually Samsung B-die so you have a better chance of running 3333 at 1.35-1.37v or higher speed. This B-die finder should help you find a kit. https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

So I got the extra 16GB because I am working from home now and use my PC for that as well as gaming. I have to run and manipulate very large data files and it was really running slow with the 16GB with multiple Chrome tabs and VPNs running as well as the systems running on the VPNs

Did you monitor RAM usage in Task manager when you work ?
Is RAM occupation very high ?

If you are at all interested in overclocking your ram, there are Samsung B-die 2x16GB kits for a bit more than other kits. 2x16GB runs better than 4x8GB on Ryzen platforms and the speed limitations of four modules is not as bad. You can usually run 2x16GB with higher speeds and better timings than 4x8GB.

Personally, if I needed it for work, I would choose a slower speed kit (3200 CL14-CL16) for stability, instead of trying to overclock and potentially have corrupted data.

Solution

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018

Personally, if I needed it for work, I would choose a slower speed kit (3200 CL14-CL16) for stability, instead of trying to overclock and potentially have corrupted data.

That's the thing though, I was only trying to get the 32GB running at the advertised speed.
I have organised to return the new RAM and will look at pricing for 2 x 16GB kits but they were a bit over my budget, considering I already have 16GB installed.