[SOLVED] Added RAM leads to frequent BSOD issues

Jan 9, 2019
I have had my current home-built computer for 2 years, no major issues, running 16 GB RAM: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/pkkD4D/crucial-memory-ct2k8g4dfd8213

For Christmas I got an extra 2 sticks to bring my total up to 32 GB, but different brand:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KY3VV42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I checked that the CAS latencies, speeds, types etc. were all the same, and for the majority of the time the PC works fine, but crashes sometimes, each time with an error code relating to the memory. The original sticks were in slots 2 and 4, as recommended, added the new ones accordingly to 1 and 3.

I bumped the DRAM voltage up to 1.22 from 1.2 V last night, and it worked for a while with no crashes but has started to go again. I noticed while looking through the UEFI BIOS that the timings, or numbers on the timings page, differed very slightly between the models, should I adjust this? Don't mind tinkering provided I'm not going to cook anything.

Should I use Memory Try It! (MSI MOBO)? And if so how do I pick which brand preset to use?

Thanks,
Harry

Solution
1)It would help if you say if you have ryzen or intel not all DRAM4 are compatible with ryzen
2)If you have ryzen you should place them on the slots away from the CPU and test them.
3)RAM voltage is not a big deal i'm sure there are many millions around the globe running DRAM4 on 1.35V constantly.I run mine on 1.35V.I also have tested mine on 1.45V without an issue.
4)There are many other voltages related to RAM aside the DRAM voltage.
5)If you don't overclock your RAM and it's on your MB's QVL you should definitely return them if they don't pass MEMtest. No need to overvoltage.
6)Return them even if they are not on your MB's QVL.
Jan 9, 2019
https://imgur.com/gallery/7LMm9cv Here are the relative timings. When I went to adjust them (I can only adjust them all together funnily enough) the values were the higher CLKs anyway. I have bumped the voltage to 1.25, gonna see if it crashes (hasn't after 10 minutes, but that's not remarkable), and run memtest tomorrow when I get my hands on a memory stick.
Thanks again,
Harry

Jan 9, 2019

Let's hope so. Thanks for the help! How will I know if the voltage gets too high?

Jan 9, 2019
Just crashed again, BAD_POOL_HEADER on 1.25... will go up to 1.27 and see if that's stable. Would it be worth actively slowing anything down to try and gain stability? Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2019

Excuse my lack of expertise.

CR is at 2, so I'll leave it unadjusted. Otherwise I have tCL, tRCD, tRP all at 15, tRAS at 36 and tRFC at 374. As I remember, it was the last two that differed when I looked at the memory properties. Should I boost them all by 1?

Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2019

Thanks. You've actually inspired me a little to get to know what I'm doing and have a bit more of a tinker in general. Will keep you posted.

Jan 9, 2019
So I Memtested on the latest settings, crashes all over the place. Tested the old RAM independently; no worries. New RAM independently, disastrous. Gonna look into a refund on them, but thanks for all your help I learned so much!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Ah yeah bad sticks will definitely cause it I should have suggested this yesterday but was hoping it was just incompatibility. That was my next step but you never mentioned if the loosened timings helped. But nothing would help if it's bad to begin witj

Jan 9, 2019

Yeah sorry hahaha think I fell asleep. See you in the otherside of some new RAM perhaps, otherwise thanks!

nikoskostantopoulow

Upstanding
Jan 3, 2019
1)It would help if you say if you have ryzen or intel not all DRAM4 are compatible with ryzen
2)If you have ryzen you should place them on the slots away from the CPU and test them.
3)RAM voltage is not a big deal i'm sure there are many millions around the globe running DRAM4 on 1.35V constantly.I run mine on 1.35V.I also have tested mine on 1.45V without an issue.
4)There are many other voltages related to RAM aside the DRAM voltage.
5)If you don't overclock your RAM and it's on your MB's QVL you should definitely return them if they don't pass MEMtest. No need to overvoltage.
6)Return them even if they are not on your MB's QVL.

Solution
Jan 9, 2019

Thanks, will bear in mind.