Added RAM to system, Screen doesn't come on

jake.g.kirby

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi. So I bought a 2nd hand Thinkcentre m81 SFF and it came with 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) of the original ram. I decided to add another 8Gb (2x4Gb) of crucial 1333Mhz memory to bring it up to 12Gb max.

Problem is... After i add the memory, the system looks like it starts up, lights come on the keyboard and no beeps occur, but the screen doesn't come on. I tried each stick individually and both sticks without the old ram, tried swapping the old and new rams memory channels but nothing. When i put just the new ram in by it's self the keyboard lights don't come on which i think means it doesn't boot.

Here's a picture i took of both the old and new ram. Maybe someone would know if it's incompatable with my system or if the ram is just faulty?
https://gyazo.com/84a26c59c6f9b5312607d135c1bee334

Thanks in advance!

SCGAZELLE

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It's probably your RAM. Run each stick in a DIMM slot that you know works, so one you were using before. If one doesn't work in that working slot then it's your RAM. Then you can test the other DIMM slots with known-working RAM to see if maybe a slot is nonfuncitonal. It also could be an incompatibility issue

jake.g.kirby

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
i've tried putting them into the other DIMM's i've also tried changing it so it's now 1 new 1 old and still the same thing. With one of the new ones though the computer seems to start for a few seconds then shut down but with the other it stays on but doesnt work

jake.g.kirby

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

-General -
Type: DDR3
Channel # Dual
Size 4GBytes

-timings-
DRAM Frequency 665.6Mhz
FSB:DRAM 1:5
CAS# :Latency (CL) 9 clocks
RAS# to CAS # Delay 9 clocks
tRAS 24 clocks
Command Rate 1T

The crucial ram was 2nd hand of eBay so i'm not sure what the specs are other than what i showed on the pic