[SOLVED] Added Ryzen 7 to MOBO and it didn't POST. Went back to Ryzen 5 and now get random BSOD

gnortsmra

Prominent
Jul 15, 2020
My little brother decided to spend $300 on a Ryzen 7 without even knowing whether or not his MOBO was compatible.

Luckily it was but he put in there without flashing the BIOS and obviously it wouldn't POST.

So he just sent it back and went back to using his Ryzen 5 but now it randomly BSOD.

I've tried working on it and have experienced the BSOD twice.

Both time stop codes the same:

"SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED"

Now he's looking to spend a grand on a new PC when I'm sure this one is fixable.

Solution
Yes it can POST depending which pin(s) are involved. The memory controller pins are generally on the outer, it just takes one. An overly tight cooler can also cause memory issues.
I'd try removing power from unit, remove BIOS battery, and clear /reset CMOS...

Reinsert battery, reconnect power, and reinstall original Ryzen that worked...

If processor identified correctly in BIOS /POST display, try a fresh reinstall of Windows....

If things don't go well, consider running Memtest86 for a few hours, to look for potential RAM issues, testing each RAM stick individually if needed...

Was the Ryzen7 purchased a 3000 series? If a pre-X570 board, most 470/450 boards will indeed require BIOS flash to function with 3000 series...

gnortsmra

Prominent
Jul 15, 2020
I'd try removing power from unit, remove BIOS battery, and clear /reset CMOS...

Reinsert battery, reconnect power, and reinstall original Ryzen that worked...

If processor identified correctly in BIOS /POST display, try a fresh reinstall of Windows....

If things don't go well, consider running Memtest86 for a few hours, to look for potential RAM issues, testing each RAM stick individually if needed...

Was the Ryzen7 purchased a 3000 series? If a pre-X570 board, most 470/450 boards will indeed require BIOS flash to function with 3000 series...

I've tried resetting CMOS and clean install of windows.

I've tried different RAM and a different HDD but still get the random BSOD

I did run Memtest with the original RAM and it wasn't pretty.. almost 3000 errors halfway through the 75% of the way through the first pass.

So the old RAM is faulty but with the new RAM installed I was still getting BSOD?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes it can POST depending which pin(s) are involved. The memory controller pins are generally on the outer, it just takes one. An overly tight cooler can also cause memory issues.

Last edited:
Solution