Added SSD to Alienware X51, UEFI troubles

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Not discussing the rig in my sig. Rig is an Alienware X51 R2.

We added a 500G SSD, initialized it as a storage drive and it showed up under My Computer, cleared the Alienware HDD down to under 500GB, used EaseUS Todo to clone the HDD onto the new SSD. The plan was now to just switch the boot order, wipe the HDD and use it for storage. However, I cannot change the boot sequence while under UEFI (default). And if I change it to legacy, neither of the two drives will boot into Windows. I have to leave it on UEFI and then it will boot into Windows properly (off the HDD still connected). I have tried disconnecting the HDD, but it will not boot at all. "Internal Hard Disk Drive not found" error. Both drives show up in BIOS just fine. But like I said, switching to Legacy is the only way I can adjust boot order, but then it will not boot off either drive. I must leave it in UEFI for a successful boot.

We're doing the cloning method because we don't have the Windows key (no sticker on rig) or any discs, despite it being genuine. Plus we'd have to hunt down all the drivers and whatnot too...

Any ideas?

Solution
Impropper clone.
Clone means - source and target is the same.

You can clearly see that source has 5 partitions, target has only one partition. Without bootloader partition (EFI system) you cant boot your new SSD.

Redo clone operation. This time properly.
Use solution from this topic:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3717991/cloning-bootable-drive.html

One more thing - on SSD it's recommended to leave ~ 10% of space unpartitioned. This helps to preserve drive performance and wear leveling.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Drive C: that's 2TB is the Alienware HDD. Drive E: is the 500GB SSD and became labeled "OS" after the clone, as that's what drive C: was labeled.

Impropper clone.
Clone means - source and target is the same.

You can clearly see that source has 5 partitions, target has only one partition. Without bootloader partition (EFI system) you cant boot your new SSD.

Redo clone operation. This time properly.
Use solution from this topic:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3717991/cloning-bootable-drive.html

One more thing - on SSD it's recommended to leave ~ 10% of space unpartitioned. This helps to preserve drive performance and wear leveling.

Solution

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Thank you. Unfortunately your reply was about 5hrs too late. lol The owner of the machine found a legit Windows key so we did a clean install via USB. Unplugged the 2TB Alienware HDD, installed Windows on the SSD, reconnected and wiped the 2TB. Boots in literally 1/10th the time. Owner is happy.

Though the clone would have been better. Now MS Office isn't installed and they had gotten it free from some college deal which can't be gotten anymore.

Regardless, thank you very much for your reply. I learned something and I'm sure I'll be going down this path again.