[SOLVED] Adding 1 intake fan at the top gave me cooler temps

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
My case is the Sharkoon DG7000, it has 3x140mm preinstalled fans (2 intakes on the front and 1 rear exhaust). This case also has 3 dust filters placed on the front, top, and bottom, but I can only add 2 fans on the top and as it is known that fans on top should be exhaust so adding them will create negative airflow, so I went ahead and installed a 120mm intake at the top (not above the CPU), I was surprised with the outcome, I got better idle and full load temps (around -5c) which are pretty good! So how is this possible? Is this normal and should I keep it this way?

It's worth noting that I have the Ryzen 7 3700x with the MasterAir MA620M which is also working as an exhaust towards the rear fan. I am also looking to replace the installed fans with the MasterFan MF120 Halo.

Solution
You're not looking at the whole picture though.
A)Ryzen 3000 can't be compared from thermals alone, unlike with other cpus. You should also have checked the frequencies before and after the fan change.

B)Top intake typically leads to higher gpu thermals if using an axial fan cooled model. So that should've been monitored as well.

C)What works best in a user's setup is going to vary on the chassis and the hardware being used. It's not always black and white.
If you have the time to experiment, then do so.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Ryzen 3000 can't be compared from thermals alone, unlike with other cpus. You should also have checked the frequencies before and after the fan change.

B)Top intake typically leads to higher gpu thermals if using an axial fan cooled model. So that should've been monitored as well.

C)What works best in a user's setup is going to vary on the chassis and the hardware being used. It's not always black and white.

Solution

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020

GPU thermals were also improved, as for CPU frequencies, before I had single core clocks of 4200-4250 that rarely reach 4300 for half a sec and after adding the intake fan it became 4300-4350, Multicore is improved a bit as PBO is disabled. I will do more tests tonight

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts