[SOLVED] Adding 2nd m.2 ssd

matt98svt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Ok so I just purchased a dell 5505 laptop and I know it comes with a 256gb ssd but I would like to have 500gb-1tb. So say I get like a 500gb Samsung ssd, should I clone the factory ssd drive that has windows and my programs to the Samsung and just use the factory ssd as my secondary drive? My thinking is if I leave windows etc on the factory drive and simply plug in the new ssd in the 2nd slot I won’t be getting any of the advantages of the Samsung being faster. What’s best here? Thanks

Solution
From a performance point of view, all ssd devices will perform similarly.
Yes, benchmarks show differences, particularly in sequential performance, but most activity is random and that differs minimally.
You could use either approach.

One might opt to keep windows on the original ssd.
One reason is to preserve the hidden recovery partition in case you ever needed to do a factory reset.
If you use the samsung ssd migration app, such a hidden space will not be moved.

Another approach would be to buy a 1tb m.2 and use the migration app to a samsung 970 evo + or even a 980 PRO.
When done, remove the original ssd and set it aside.
I like this even better.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I just purchased a dell 5505 laptop and I know it comes with a 256gb ssd but I would like to have 500gb-1tb. So say I get like a 500gb Samsung ssd, should I clone the factory ssd drive that has windows and my programs to the Samsung and just use the factory ssd as my secondary drive? My thinking is if I leave windows etc on the factory drive and simply plug in the new ssd in the 2nd slot I won’t be getting any of the advantages of the Samsung being faster. What’s best here? Thanks
What is the make/model of the original drive?

What specific drive ports does this laptop have?

What do you use the system for?

Are you sure the laptop has 2 ssd slots?
What is the complete model number of the laptop?

matt98svt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Are you sure the laptop has 2 ssd slots?
What is the complete model number of the laptop?
Dell Inspiron 15 5505 Laptop 15.6 FHD AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 256GB SSD AMD Radeon 8GB

there are a few YouTube videos where I see they add a second hardrive to these. I’m used to having the larger 2.5 ssd so this is my first one with a m.2 drive

matt98svt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
What is the make/model of the original drive?

What specific drive ports does this laptop have?

What do you use the system for?

im not sure the maker of the original drive as I was waiting for my 16gb ram sticks to arrive in the mail before I took the back off but here what is listed as the specs for the factory Ssd:

256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive

and I use the laptop for a small business I have and plan to edit some YouTube videos with it.
im honestly nit sure what specific drive ports it has though. I know it has a empty slot for a second m.2 if that’s what you are asking though. Thanks

Dell Inspiron 15 5505 Laptop 15.6 FHD AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 256GB SSD AMD Radeon 8GB

there are a few YouTube videos where I see they add a second hardrive to these. I’m used to having the larger 2.5 ssd so this is my first one with a m.2 drive
Just watched a vid about adding a 2nd m.2.......looks like a lot of fussin.
Might be easier to just get a 1TB m.2 and replace the installed m.2.
Use the orig m.2 as an ext if you want.

From a performance point of view, all ssd devices will perform similarly.
Yes, benchmarks show differences, particularly in sequential performance, but most activity is random and that differs minimally.
You could use either approach.

One might opt to keep windows on the original ssd.
One reason is to preserve the hidden recovery partition in case you ever needed to do a factory reset.
If you use the samsung ssd migration app, such a hidden space will not be moved.

Another approach would be to buy a 1tb m.2 and use the migration app to a samsung 970 evo + or even a 980 PRO.
When done, remove the original ssd and set it aside.
I like this even better.

Solution