Question Adding 2x16 Dual Channel(?) Ram Kit onto existing 2x16 Single Channel Ram

Jul 15, 2019
Hello. I use an amd system on asus rog strix x370-5 gaming mb. I already have 2 16gb rams but i dont think they are a dual channel kit. I want to add 2x16 =32 gb more ram of the same specifications. But i cant find the exact model on the internet or the manufacturer's website. Instead i found 2x16 GB dual channel kits. Will they work together with my existing rams?

My existing Rams:
G-Skill Flare-x (amd)
2X ddr4 16gb 2400mhz (two single 16gb rams)
F4-2400C15-16GFX

Rams i want to get:
G-Skill Flare X (amd)
2X16 Kit ,2x16GB 2400 MHZ
F4-2400C15D-32GFX

will these 4 ram work together?

Last edited:
Your first kit is a 2x8GB giving you 16gb in total. If you have them placed in the board with a slot open in between them then they should be running in dual channel mode.

The second kit that you want to buy is a 2x16GB giving you 32GB of ram total. Is there a reason you need so much ram?

Jul 15, 2019
Your first kit is a 2x8GB giving you 16gb in total. If you have them placed in the board with a slot open in between them then they should be running in dual channel mode.

The second kit that you want to buy is a 2x16GB giving you 32GB of ram total. Is there a reason you need so much ram?

Hello. Thanks for the reply. my 2 existing memories are single 16gb. There are two of them. I use after effects heavily for motion design work. So im trying to maximize my ram in order to get longer previews at a time.

Jul 15, 2019
Memory manufacturers won't guarantee such combinations to be compatible together. You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing have no guarantee to be compatible together. What is guaranteed is the use of a single kit of memory.

So should i look for another brand now? Because g-skill appearantly doesnt manufacture the single 16gb rams anymore with the same specifications?

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this particularly amd.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

Download the summit QVL list for your motherboard.

You will find 32gb and 64gb kits.
Pick one from the list. ryzen is dual channel so a 2 x ?? kit is probably better than a 4 stick kit.

Jul 15, 2019
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this particularly amd.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

Download the summit QVL list for your motherboard.

You will find 32gb and 64gb kits.
Pick one from the list. ryzen is dual channel so a 2 x ?? kit is probably better than a 4 stick kit.

I see. Thanks for the reply.