[SOLVED] Adding 32 GB more of RAM on already 32 GB of Ram?

dankhyo

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
My PC Specs:
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: MSI Gaming Trio 2080
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified

I have 2x16GB RAM sticks in my PC at the moment. (HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB 32GB Kit 3200MHz CL16 DIMM XMP RAM Memory/Infrared Sync Technology- Black) Microcenter had a good sale and I bought 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royals also at 3200MHz and Intel XMP 2.0 ready. I put all 4 RAM sticks in, however all my screens go black and my PC does not boot. When I leave the Hyperx Predators in, everything is fine. How can I implement both brands of RAM sticks to utilize 64 GB? Or is this not possible?

Solution
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero - User's Manual
Reference Pg. 1-5

Check Motherboard compatibility - Try installing just the new RAM in slots A2 and B2. See if it boots.
Check Mixed RAM compatibility - Install 1 old RAM module in slot A2 and 1 new RAM module in slot B2. See if it boots.
Check RAM Slots - Install 1 old RAM module in slot A1 and 1 new RAM module in slot B1. See if it boots.

Give us the results of these tests.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero - User's Manual
Reference Pg. 1-5

Check Motherboard compatibility - Try installing just the new RAM in slots A2 and B2. See if it boots.
Check Mixed RAM compatibility - Install 1 old RAM module in slot A2 and 1 new RAM module in slot B2. See if it boots.
Check RAM Slots - Install 1 old RAM module in slot A1 and 1 new RAM module in slot B1. See if it boots.

Give us the results of these tests.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Good testing protocol from Wolfshadow above^^

At the very least, start with running the ram at default 2133 speed.
Likely you are experiencing internal ram incompatibilities.

Adding ram voltage can sometimes overcome those differences.
Install a set that works.
At stock speeds, increase the ram voltage gradually from the stock 1.2v to a higher number.
1.35v is safe, that is what is required to run at 3200 speeds anyway. I suppose you could go even higher.

TRENDING THREADS