[SOLVED] Adding 3rd router to extend

Jul 3, 2021
I have added an extra wirless router to extend the coverage inside my home. However as my home is brick, it just does not penetrate and I have very low signal outside on my deck. Can I add a 3rd router attached to my second (via ethernet) out to my deck ? Or is there a better way to get this signal through the brick ?

Solution
Ethernet is always the best option to extend wifi. Brick and concrete absorb massive amount of wifi signal. There is really no way to solve this issue directly. Even if you were to say increase the power above legal levels the amount of signal the brick absorbs will also increase.

Running a wire though the wall tends to be the only good solution.

You want to run device you call a router as AP. Most have a option but any router can be made to run as a AP. You want to avoid the problems of having multiple networks in your house when you run mulitple routers. When you run as a AP it pretty much functions as a wifi radio connected via ethernet without all the extra router/nat function.

You need to protect the router you...
Ethernet is always the best option to extend wifi. Brick and concrete absorb massive amount of wifi signal. There is really no way to solve this issue directly. Even if you were to say increase the power above legal levels the amount of signal the brick absorbs will also increase.

Running a wire though the wall tends to be the only good solution.

You want to run device you call a router as AP. Most have a option but any router can be made to run as a AP. You want to avoid the problems of having multiple networks in your house when you run mulitple routers. When you run as a AP it pretty much functions as a wifi radio connected via ethernet without all the extra router/nat function.

You need to protect the router you put outside they do not like water. They do make outdoor AP if you need one that can be out in bad weather.

Solution
Jul 3, 2021
Yes, that is how I added my second router , as an Ap. Should I add the outside one as connected to the second ? Or main router ? Second one is a way shorter distance.

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Yes, that is how I added my second router , as an Ap. Should I add the outside one as connected to the second ? Or main router ? Second one is a way shorter distance.

If I was doing this, I'd connect the 3rd router (AP) to the main router.
But you could also test it connected to the 2nd router, to see if there are any performance differences.

It likely doesn't matter where you connect it. The only downside would be that all the devices hooked to the second router and third router will share a single connection back to the main router. Not very likely that you are going to exceed 1gbit of bandwidth though.

There is some limit on how many devices you can chain together with ethernet but it is much more than 3.