Adding 4 sticks of RAM in Quadchannel slot, mobo supports quadchannel but processor doesnt?

supermanu15

Distinguished
I have a question, what happens if let's say a motherboard with 4 slots(a pair of different colors) which means the board can support quadchannel but what happens if you populate all the slots but the CPU itself doesnt support quadchannel?

Solution

all the cheaper boards are Dual Channel. There's also no advantage to Quad Channel unless you've got a much higher-end CPU and even then only under certain applications.

If you want 16GB of memory, just get a 2x8GB kit and use the recommened slots (possibly #2 and #4) as per the manual.

Populating ALL the slots just means each set is in Dual Channel. So 4x4GB is the same as 2x8GB for performance and capacity.

See partpicker but I'd get a 2133MHz CL9, 2x8GB kit. maybe CORSAIR

Update: wrong kit....

supermanu15

Distinguished

a board with 4 slots(2 pairs of different colors let's say 2 are black and the other 2 are grey) supports quad channel right, while a board with 4 slots of the same color(let's say all of them are black) supports 4 slots in dual channel mode, any board in general with the characteristics i mentioned :)

bignastyid

Titan
"2 pairs of different colors let's say 2 are black and the other 2 are grey) supports quad channel right"
Actually that's most likely dual channel not quad. Currently the only 2 consumer level chipsets that support quad channel are Intel X79 and X99 boards and iirc all the cpus that work on those boards support quad channel.

all the cheaper boards are Dual Channel. There's also no advantage to Quad Channel unless you've got a much higher-end CPU and even then only under certain applications.

If you want 16GB of memory, just get a 2x8GB kit and use the recommened slots (possibly #2 and #4) as per the manual.

Populating ALL the slots just means each set is in Dual Channel. So 4x4GB is the same as 2x8GB for performance and capacity.

See partpicker but I'd get a 2133MHz CL9, 2x8GB kit. maybe CORSAIR

Update: wrong kit....

Solution

The Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard is for Memory: 4x DDR3-1600/1333 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Max Capacity of 32GB and so is the ASRock B85M Pro3

Your sytem specs indicate 8GB ram and if you want more say 16GB then its best to get a single 16GB kit at 1600MHz and keep your others for spares.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KQ4gXL/gskill-memory-f32133c9d16gxh

that's an example.
If you have 2x4GB already you can get an IDENTICAL kit. Sometimes they change the manufacturing so the same MODEL is slightly different which can screw up detection but it is likely to be okay, and if not usually a couple tweaks can fix that.

No matter what, run www.memtest86.com for a full pass

(And no, you aren't limited to 1600MHz. See the motherboard page)

supermanu15

Distinguished

So populating all the RAM slots in the gigabyte board i chose would work at 16GB? Because I want to keep and reuse my Avexir RAM, and planning to buy another pair of 4GB :)