[SOLVED] Adding 4gb stick to 2x4gb decreases detected memory to 4gb???

Jun 26, 2020
I was trying to get an old PC running (Asus P7P55D motherboard), and only half of it was detecting. In both channels alone I was able to get 8gb to detect, but as soon as I added another stick to the other channel, the amount of ram decreased to 4gb. With all the memory in, only 8gb is detected. Any ideas on how to get all ram detected? It is all identical DDR3-1066 4GB (same model number and everything, although one of the sticks was purchased from a different place than the other three). I've tried flashing to the latest bios and it still only detects 8gb.
Specifics:
  • Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
  • CPU: Core i7-870
  • Ram: 4x Ripjaws F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL (DDR3-1066)

Solution
Vendors sometimes change their chip suppliers. One of the results of that is that they may use higher density chips, e.g. same capacity on a module with a lower number of chips. Since you also bought from a different place it's very possible that is the problem you ran into. You would neeed to buy 4 modules of the same memory from the same place with the same specs for this to work.
Vendors sometimes change their chip suppliers. One of the results of that is that they may use higher density chips, e.g. same capacity on a module with a lower number of chips. Since you also bought from a different place it's very possible that is the problem you ran into. You would neeed to buy 4 modules of the same memory from the same place with the same specs for this to work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS