[SOLVED] Adding 5.1 audio to my desktop?

jkimrey

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I have an Asus G11CD-B13 (https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/G11CD/) desktop.

I'm currently using the displayport connection in order to get Freesync compatibility on my nVidia graphics card (it's my understanding I can not get that compatibility with an HDMI connection).

The Displayport cable is plugged into my monitor that does not have speakers.

I'd like to get 5.1 support so that I can hook it up to my 5.1 sound bar (with rear speakers).

What is the easiest way to get 5.1 output? The desktop doesn't appear to have optical out - only an audio out 3.5mm. The same is also on my monitor but if I used that I wouldn't have 5.1 sound would I?

The soundbar has HDMI in, which would give me the 5.1 sound, but I'm using the displayport for the Freesync compatibility.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Should be able to run Hdmi long side to sound bar whilst using Displayport for display. Sound bar doesn't have an video out so it shouldn't complicate things. In playback devices in windows set the Hdmi source leading to the sound bar as default audio.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should be able to run Hdmi long side to sound bar whilst using Displayport for display. Sound bar doesn't have an video out so it shouldn't complicate things. In playback devices in windows set the Hdmi source leading to the sound bar as default audio.

Reactions: jkimrey
Solution

TRENDING THREADS